Speedtouch 780WL used as WLAN router only

Old October 25th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Default Speedtouch 780WL used as WLAN router only

Hello,

back from my time in Scotland I still have a Speedtouch 780WL, which I
used with Freeola. I already learned that I will not be able to use the
DSL-modem functionality here in Germany (Annex B vs. Annex A on the
device).

Has anyone be able to configure the 780WL, so that I can attach it to a
normal DSL-modem.

DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

Thanks in advance

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old October 26th 10, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 25 Oct, 22:19, Frank Knappe wrote:
Hello,

back from my time in Scotland I still have a Speedtouch 780WL, which I
used with Freeola. I already learned that I will not be able to use the
DSL-modem functionality here in Germany (Annex B vs. Annex A on the
device).

Has anyone be able to configure the 780WL, so that I can attach it to a
normal DSL-modem.

DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

Thanks in advance

I have no idea what a 780WL might be exactly however every
broadband router that I have ever seen will work as
you suggest.

You don't really need to do anything at all.

Oh! Well might be a good idea to make sure that you
don't have more than one DHCP server on the network:-)

Just turn off DHCP on one of your devices - OR -
if you want to get fancy set them for different
addess ranges.

Router A
192.168.1.4-26

Router B
192.168.1.39-174

subnet msk 255.255.255.0 in both cases.

For example.

Old October 26th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Frank Knappe wrote:
Has anyone be able to configure the 780WL, so that I can attach it to a
normal DSL-modem.

DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

Most routers without a dedicated WAN port won't let you do this. However
it's possible with Thomsons if you're prepared to get involved with the
command line - have a look at the following wiki which describes a way
to convert a LAN port to a WAN port into which you can plug a cable or
DSL modem with an ethernet presentation.

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....r_Sp eedTouch

Lots of other config options for Thomson routers at :-

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index...._Configuration
Old October 26th 10, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Mike Civil wrote:
Most routers without a dedicated WAN port won't let you do this. However
it's possible with Thomsons if you're prepared to get involved with the
command line - have a look at the following wiki which describes a way
to convert a LAN port to a WAN port into which you can plug a cable or
DSL modem with an ethernet presentation.

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....r_Sp eedTouch

Thanks, that looks very promising. Does a factory reset also kills all
such changes done by the cli? Just for the case that it doesn't work and
I have to start again.

Lots of other config options for Thomson routers at :-

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index...._Configuration

Interesting stuff to read. Thanks again.

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old October 27th 10, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Frank Knappe wrote:
Thanks, that looks very promising. Does a factory reset also kills all
such changes done by the cli? Just for the case that it doesn't work and
I have to start again.

Once a :saveall command is performed the router will remember the
settings across reboots (or power off/on) so it can be worth delaying
the :saveall until after some initial testing has been done. After the
:saveall pressing the reset button at the rear of the router will restore
default settings (either factory or ISP).

If you do go down this route it can be worth setting up a script which
can be uploaded to the router to save having to cut and paste each time
the router is reset. This is covered in a Thomson document a copy of
which can be found he-

http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...4.2.pdf.7z.php

or

http://tiny.cc/0xhe8
Old October 29th 10, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Frank Knappe" wrote in message
Hello,

back from my time in Scotland I still have a Speedtouch 780WL, which I
used with Freeola. I already learned that I will not be able to use the
DSL-modem functionality here in Germany (Annex B vs. Annex A on the
device).

Has anyone be able to configure the 780WL, so that I can attach it to a
normal DSL-modem.

DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

If the DSL modem will act as a DHCP server then you should be OK if you turn
off DHCP in the 780WL,

If not, you might have to use fixed IP addresses, I could not configure DHCP
my Speedtouch 510 to give out a default gateway and DNS server addresses
which were not its own even though I entered different addresses on the
configuration file command line.

--
Michael Chare

Old October 29th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Mike Civil wrote:
Most routers without a dedicated WAN port won't let you do this. However
it's possible with Thomsons if you're prepared to get involved with the
command line - have a look at the following wiki which describes a way
to convert a LAN port to a WAN port into which you can plug a cable or
DSL modem with an ethernet presentation.

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....r_Sp eedTouch

I've made several tries with this chain of commands (and also others
which I found on other places). I was able to convert a LAN port into a
WAN port. However, I didn't managed to to get an Internet connection
through this configuration. Do I have to give any IP onto the DSL modem
or does the speedtouch automatically uses the WAN port as default
gateway?

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old October 29th 10, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Michael Chare [email protected] wrote:
DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

If the DSL modem will act as a DHCP server then you should be OK if you turn
off DHCP in the 780WL,

without reconfiguration of one LAN port into a WAN port?

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old October 29th 10, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Mike Civil wrote:
Most routers without a dedicated WAN port won't let you do this. However
it's possible with Thomsons if you're prepared to get involved with the
command line - have a look at the following wiki which describes a way
to convert a LAN port to a WAN port into which you can plug a cable or
DSL modem with an ethernet presentation.

http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....r_Sp eedTouch

I've made several tries with this chain of commands (and also others
which I found on other places). I was able to convert a LAN port into a
WAN port. However, I didn't managed to to get an Internet connection
through this configuration. Do I have to give any IP onto the DSL modem
or does the speedtouch automatically uses the WAN port as default
gateway?

In an ordinary router having an ethernet WAN port, the router will contain a
routing table to direct traffic from the LAN which is addressed to the
router out of the WAN port. Sometimes the WAN port will have an IP address,
sometimes it will be bridged to the separate modem. Either the modem itself
will give the WAN port an IP address, or the ISP will give the modem an IP
address which is then bridged through to the WAN port.

I'm not familiar with the command language for the Speedtouch but at a
glance the commands for the version 6.1 firmware look like they should cause
the WAN port to get an IP address. The key will be whether the router then
builds a routing table that does the right thing, and implements NAT.

There should be commands which will show what the router is configured to
achieve - these might help you get the configuration right ...

--
Graham J

Old October 29th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Frank Knappe" wrote in message
Michael Chare [email protected] wrote:
DSL-modem - Ethernet cable - 780WL - WLAN

If the DSL modem will act as a DHCP server then you should be OK if you
turn
off DHCP in the 780WL,

without reconfiguration of one LAN port into a WAN port?

The 780WL to DSL Modem is by Ethernet so it is not WAN.

I think that you need to know what the DSL modem will do, and how it is
intended to be used.

If you have FTTC in the UK, then BT provide you with a box that has an
Ethernet port. To attach more than one computer (or have Wifi) you then
have to buy what is sold as a 'cable router'. This has one port that
attaches to the BT box, and provides normal NAT/Firewall functions. It could
be that is what you need. I would suggest contacting the German ISP to find
out what the recommend.

--
Michael Chare