Cable roadside boxes and power cuts

Old October 26th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}

Default Cable roadside boxes and power cuts

We had a power cut this evening, covering at least all the local streets,
while I was sat at my computer. Due to frequent glitches (annoying 10-second
variety), I've got the whole of my internet set-up on a UPS, so when the
lights went out, it all stayed up. However, the cable modem, which was still
powered, was unable to talk to whatever is at the far end of its cable. I
even checked its status and it was attempting to sync to the far end.

Does this mean that the VM kit in the roadside cabinets is locally-powered
with no backups? I assume the phone service must have been there, although
we don't have a VM phone so I couldn't confirm that.

Perhaps I'll have to rig up the TV side to a UPS and see if that also gives
up next time we lose power. Perhaps they're assuming that backup power is
not needed because no one will be using it?

--
Dave
da (without the space)
Old October 26th 10, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dave {Reply Address In.Sig} wrote:
We had a power cut this evening, covering at least all the local streets,
while I was sat at my computer. Due to frequent glitches (annoying 10-second
variety), I've got the whole of my internet set-up on a UPS, so when the
lights went out, it all stayed up. However, the cable modem, which was still
powered, was unable to talk to whatever is at the far end of its cable. I
even checked its status and it was attempting to sync to the far end.

Does this mean that the VM kit in the roadside cabinets is locally-powered
with no backups? I assume the phone service must have been there, although
we don't have a VM phone so I couldn't confirm that.

Perhaps I'll have to rig up the TV side to a UPS and see if that also gives
up next time we lose power. Perhaps they're assuming that backup power is
not needed because no one will be using it?

Having looked in an (open honestly) VM cabinet the other day, it looks
like some of them have a battery supply and a standby inverter power
supply to power the main amplifiers.
Looking in other ones, there is no sign of batteries and so I suspect
they power-feed down the coax to those cabinets for the repeaters.
The first one looked extremely uncared-for so I wouldn't be surprised if
that was typical and lots are like that so no surprise if it failed.
Certainly around here (West London) the telephone service is provided on
good-old copper and that is the second cable that comes into your house
from a distribution block in the cabinet.
The broadband comes over the coax on carriers mixed in with the TV.

In the case of the old Telewest systems, they used to fibre to the
cabinet from the start and had ISDN racks in the cabinets with mains
power. I am not sure what the standby arrangements were but certainly
there was a mains connector hidden in a side cupboard for use if the
public mains was to be off for some time.
This was why they were slow in providing broadband as they didn't have
the systems to put it over the tv cable and there was no path of copper
back to an exchange or similar.

Not sure what BT are doing with their FTTC systems but I do know that
they keep the copper pairs for the phone back to the exchange (the phone
pairs are diverted to the new cabinets)so they can at least supply phone
service in case of a power cut. Fast broadband is extended to the
cabinets with splitters/routers installed there and the Broadband
combining filters are fitted in the cabinet to do ADSL conventionally
over the last few hundred feet of copper cable.
It may be thatt they power-feed down a spare pair or something to
provide standby for the ADSL equipment in the cabinets.

I stand corrected however if anyone knows more

Mike

Old October 26th 10, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Dave {Reply Address In.Sig}" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Old NTL street cabs - and most of the organisations they took
over - used fibre to street cab and co-ax from there. The cab is
battery backed although the batts are sometimes in a separate'
cupboard on the end of the cab.

Can't speak for Telewest though................

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 27th 10, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"m" wrote in message ...
[...]

By the sound of 'em the fans alone in our new local FTTC cab probebly sink some power.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 27th 10, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Graham. wrote:
"m" wrote in message ...
It may be thatt they power-feed down a spare pair or something to provide standby for the ADSL equipment in the cabinets.

I stand corrected however if anyone knows more

By the sound of 'em the fans alone in our new local FTTC cab probebly sink some power.

Indeed ! Unless Ohms Law has been repealed, I doubt very much the VDSL kit
can run using power on telephone pair(s).

I don't think the design brief for either domestic cable internet or FTTC
assumes the punter has a UPS in their home (yet) ;-)

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old October 27th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mark Carver wrote:
Graham. wrote:
"m" wrote in message
It may be thatt they power-feed down a spare pair or something to
provide standby for the ADSL equipment in the cabinets.

I stand corrected however if anyone knows more

By the sound of 'em the fans alone in our new local FTTC cab probebly
sink some power.

Indeed ! Unless Ohms Law has been repealed, I doubt very much the VDSL
kit can run using power on telephone pair(s).

well the power a given wire can transmit is a function of its length and
insulation resistance and cross sectional area and ability to dissipate
heat. You can certainly get a few watts per twisted pair..is the bell
not 100v and 20mA or summat? 1 watt?

I don't think the design brief for either domestic cable internet or
FTTC assumes the punter has a UPS in their home (yet) ;-)

Then they should..

Is there not a requirement that the POTS supplied by a cable company be
able to make calls in a power cut?

Old October 27th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Dave {Reply Address In.Sig}
writes

Does this mean that the VM kit in the roadside cabinets is locally-powered
with no backups? I assume the phone service must have been there, although
we don't have a VM phone so I couldn't confirm that.

The VM cabinets do have backup batteries but crims have been stealing
them for the lead in them.

http://www.recyclemetals.org/stolen/171

Been offered any used lead-acid batteries recently? )

--
Mike Tomlinson
Old October 27th 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Is there not a requirement that the POTS supplied by a cable company be
able to make calls in a power cut?

POTS, yes, but it's not required to supply more than enough power to
supply a standard telephone instrument.

When I was involved in installing streetside cabinets in Exeter (the
Eurobell franchise) in the late 1990s, the cabinets had backup
batteries, and were powered by unmetered connections from the mains.

The link to the parent exchange was Fibre SDH.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old October 27th 10, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Is there not a requirement that the POTS supplied by a cable company be
able to make calls in a power cut?

Probably a consumer problem now since so many people have ditched proper
phones and use all wireless ones.
and I guess they assume everyone has at least one mobile (or Skype?)

Mike

Old October 27th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:43:25 +0100, m wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Is there not a requirement that the POTS supplied by a cable company be
able to make calls in a power cut?

Probably a consumer problem now since so many people have ditched proper
phones and use all wireless ones.
and I guess they assume everyone has at least one mobile (or Skype?)

Yes, but they specifically tell you not to rely on the wireless phone
for emergency use, presumably for that reason.