RAS problems

Old October 27th 10, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default RAS problems

I had an ADSL synch loss from a stable connection speed of about 4 Mbps. The
connection restored at .99 Mbps. I rebooted the router and restored a
connection at about 4 Mbps.

For approximately 3 days my download speed has been about .4 Mbps.

Is there anything I can do to reset the RAS profile without waiting for 72
hours?

It seems crazy that a freak connection can lower the download speed for such
a long period of time.

Old October 27th 10, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Gareth wrote:

Is there anything I can do to reset the RAS profile without waiting for 72
hours?

Phone your ISP. Since it appears to be Zen, they'll probably be helpful.

-- Richard
Old October 27th 10, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
In article ,
Gareth wrote:

Is there anything I can do to reset the RAS profile without waiting for 72
hours?

Phone your ISP. Since it appears to be Zen, they'll probably be helpful.

Nope. I was told there was nothing they could do for 72 hours.

Surely though if it is that easy for the profile speed to drop then it must
be possible to increase it. Otherwise the BT ADSL network would be a pretty
poor creation - no provision for correction of faults.

Old October 27th 10, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"kraftee" wrote in message

Patience is a virtue seldom shown by a DSL user whose service is 'lumpy'
;-)

Dunno. Three days is a long time to have a service which is slower than
single channel ISDN despite having an unbroken 4Mbps synch. I don't expect
20Mbps - but 0.49Mbps or less?

Has your actual service been up and running for those 72 hours?

Yes, on constantly with no synch problems.

Oh by the way I always quote 7 to 10 days when I'm leaving site after
(hopefully) fixing a DSL fault, just to make you feel worse. Actually if
ZEN are stating 72 hours then get onto them to reset your profile, which
they can do with one phone call to the correct department.

I will do. I'm not hopeful though - the comment was that BT would not
entertain solving the problem for at least 72 hours. So I suppose the seven
days may be pretty standard.

It's odd that there's no way of forcing a reset. Even a dodgy filter could
result in a poor synch speed. Three days is a long time to have to wait
presumably for a software routine to kick in. I wonder if the software used
by other DSL networks (in other countries) is as sensitive to low synch
rates.

Old October 27th 10, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"George Weston" wrote in message

Are you mixing up the bRas with the IP profile?
As Kraftee said, your ISP can reset your IP profile.

I Could be confusing the two but it was the ISP that told me that the slow
speed was due to the RAS.

Just surprised that it takes so long for a one off low synch speed to be
"corrected". I wonder what the reasoning behind it is.

The BT ADSL network almost makes Virgin Media look attractive.

Old October 28th 10, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:44:09 +0100, Gareth wrote:

I will do. I'm not hopeful though - the comment was that BT would not
entertain solving the problem for at least 72 hours. So I suppose the seven
days may be pretty standard.

I might be getting mixed up but I thought that it didn't go up
automatically and you had to disconnect and reconnect for the BRAS to
increase.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old October 28th 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:44:09 +0100, Gareth wrote:

I will do. I'm not hopeful though - the comment was that BT would not
entertain solving the problem for at least 72 hours. So I suppose the seven
days may be pretty standard.

I might be getting mixed up but I thought that it didn't go up
automatically and you had to disconnect and reconnect for the BRAS to
increase.

Oddly enough, after BT trashed my noise margin for no apparent reasaon,
I have been forcibly reconnected at a higher sync speed and my BRAS is
up again.

It looks like part of the BT standard algo is to do this from time to
time and recalculate the BRAS at that time.

Old October 28th 10, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Gareth" wrote in message

"kraftee" wrote in message

[...]

I can't comment on how other countries DSL networks do it but there is no
doubt in my mind that the BT method is not fit for purpose. It does
incorporate what they call "Blip logic" that should, in theory, prevent the
situation that you have encountered. Viewed from a statistical point of view
the vast majority of broadband customers neither know nor care that they are
getting an inferior product. As long as ISP's tolerate this poorly designed
system BT have no incentive to improve it. You can find out more from this
BT publication.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/files/...nd-legends.pdf

Peter Crosland

Old October 28th 10, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Windmill

"Gareth" writes:

Are you mixing up the bRas with the IP profile?
As Kraftee said, your ISP can reset your IP profile.

I Could be confusing the two but it was the ISP that told me that the slow
speed was due to the RAS.
Just surprised that it takes so long for a one off low synch speed to be
"corrected". I wonder what the reasoning behind it is.
The BT ADSL network almost makes Virgin Media look attractive.

I was told about the 72 hour delay, and that's what I see after turning
off an ADSL modem then back on again.
Speed drops to 1Mb/s for 72 hours.

But my main problem is a ridiculously long connect time with modem set
to 'ADSL2+ (multimode)'.
Which used to work.

Now only 'ADSL G995' connects quickly.

I'm told I shouldn't turn off the modem, but other people surely will
(and will then complain to me).
Other modems elsewhere can be switched off for a day or two then turned
on again without apparent harm, getting about 5Mb/s.

From what I've read here it seems plain that BT changed something, and
the ISP has to put up with it.

--
Windmill, Use m a i l