TalkTalk / QubeGB are coming round - what to expect?

Old October 28th 10, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lucky13

Default TalkTalk / QubeGB are coming round - what to expect?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had had QubeGB visit them before now? I'm
having dropping connections, it's been going on for months and at its
best I can maintain sync for around 3 hours, at its worst it drops
roughly every 10 minutes. There isn't a pattern at it seems to happen at
any hour of the day.

I reported the problem a while ago but after some reprofiling by their
2nd line team the issue went away - I had sync for 48 hours at around
7meg without it dropping. I foolishly cancelled the Qube guy that time
only for the issue to come back a few days later.

6 weeks after that event and following another phone call they're
sending a Qube guy out this weekend.

I'm just wondering what to expect? Are they there just to make sure that
you have your microfilters plugged in or do they do some proper tests on
the line? Needless to say I've been in test socket for quite some time
now so if that's all he's coming to do then I will be upset.

Is it worth getting some logs together to show the connection trends
over a couple of days?

Thanks

L13

Here's my stats for those that are interested:

Operation Mode ADSL2+
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 7140 / 932
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 5.5 / 4.9
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 48.0 / 30.2
Power Down/Up(dBm) 0.0 / 12.3
CRC Down/Up 2349 / 65505
FEC Down/Up 64405 / 65523
HEC Down/Up 17254 / 0
System Up Time 53:23:39
DSL Up Time 0:42:29
Old October 29th 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Lucky13
writes

SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 5.5 / 4.9
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 48.0 / 30.2

That's your problem right there. Either you're a long way from the
exchange, or there is a line fault.

Who are Qube anyway?

--
Mike Tomlinson
Old October 30th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
news
In article , Lucky13
writes

SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 5.5 / 4.9
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 48.0 / 30.2

That's your problem right there. Either you're a long way from the
exchange, or there is a line fault.

Who are Qube anyway?

I hadn't heard of them also.

http://qubegb.com/case-studies.htm

Outsourced Engineer Assisted Installation, Field & Helpdesk Services

This company seems quite like the third-party maintenance outfits that I
have worked for in the past.
If their engineers are anything like me they will not revel in doing this
kind of domestic work, they
will much rather be involved with direct business to business contracts.

That said, if they are playing the role of Triage Nurse, passing back a
recommendation whether or not to TalkTalk to escalate the problem
to BT, it's an interesting experiment, I'm a bit surprised that this
particular ISP is ahead of the pack. I will follow this with interest.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 30th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Graham.
writes

Outsourced

That word always has me reaching for my gun.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old October 30th 10, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
news
In article , Lucky13
writes

SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 5.5 / 4.9
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 48.0 / 30.2

That's your problem right there. Either you're a long way from the
exchange, or there is a line fault.

Plenty of people are that far from their exchange.

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old October 31st 10, 04:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Brian
Gregory [UK] writes

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

No chance.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old October 31st 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Brian
Gregory [UK] writes

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

No chance.

Who says?

I just connected remotely to the DG834G in a hospital computer room I help
look after and got these figures:

Down speed: 3616k
Down atten: 52dB
Down margin: 5dB
Up speed: 448k
Up atten: 15dB
Up margin: 19dB

This is a very reliable connection, been connected for 52 hours at the
moment.

Old October 31st 10, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Brian
Gregory [UK] writes

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

No chance.

Who says?

I just connected remotely to the DG834G in a hospital computer room I help
look after and got these figures:

Down speed: 3616k
Down atten: 52dB
Down margin: 5dB
Up speed: 448k
Up atten: 15dB
Up margin: 19dB

This is a very reliable connection, been connected for 52 hours at the
moment.

Broadly similar to my setup.

www.tempest.templar.co.uk/router
Old November 1st 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Mike
Tomlinson chose the tried and tested strategy of:

In article , Brian
Gregory [UK] writes

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

No chance.

Yes chance. I'm synced at 8.8Mbps with 44dB DSNM.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:37:08 up 1 day, 1:07, 6 users, load average: 0.08, 0.10, 0.05

Old November 2nd 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"alexd" wrote in message
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Mike
Tomlinson chose the tried and tested strategy of:

In article , Brian
Gregory [UK] writes

I'd guess you should manage to connect at around 3 to 4Mb/s download with
those figures.

No chance.

Yes chance. I'm synced at 8.8Mbps with 44dB DSNM.

DSNM?

44dB looks like a downstream attenuation figure to me.