Can I connect a TV and a PC one Ethernet lead?

Old November 1st 10, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Can I connect a TV and a PC one Ethernet lead?

Hi. I have a computer stood next to my TV and it uses the TV as a monitor
its there really for the BBC iplayer but might get a little other uses too.
Shortly the Panasonic TV should be getting an upgrade to be able to do the
iplayer itself and I will then have to plug an Ethernet connector into it.
Is there some way I could use the same Ethernet lead on both.
Trying to save running a new cable from my router, or attaching a wireless
connector to the computer.

Regards
David

Old November 1st 10, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , David
writes
Hi. I have a computer stood next to my TV and it uses the TV as a
monitor its there really for the BBC iplayer but might get a little
other uses too.
Shortly the Panasonic TV should be getting an upgrade to be able to do
the iplayer itself and I will then have to plug an Ethernet connector
into it.
Is there some way I could use the same Ethernet lead on both.
Trying to save running a new cable from my router, or attaching a
wireless connector to the computer.

Regards
David

Get a small switch/hub for 10 or so.
--
Invalid
Old November 1st 10, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"David" wrote in message
Hi. I have a computer stood next to my TV and it uses the TV as a monitor
its there really for the BBC iplayer but might get a little other uses
too.
Shortly the Panasonic TV should be getting an upgrade to be able to do the
iplayer itself and I will then have to plug an Ethernet connector into it.
Is there some way I could use the same Ethernet lead on both.
Trying to save running a new cable from my router, or attaching a wireless
connector to the computer.

You can buy special RJ45 doublers that let you run two Ethernet connections
over a single cable.
You would need a doubler at each end, and a spare port on the router.
The doublers are 'special' RJ45 doublers that let you use the 2 spare pairs
in the cable.

--
Michael Chare

Old November 1st 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Michael Chare wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Hi. I have a computer stood next to my TV and it uses the TV as a
monitor its there really for the BBC iplayer but might get a little
other uses too.
Shortly the Panasonic TV should be getting an upgrade to be able to do
the iplayer itself and I will then have to plug an Ethernet connector
into it.
Is there some way I could use the same Ethernet lead on both.
Trying to save running a new cable from my router, or attaching a
wireless connector to the computer.

You can buy special RJ45 doublers that let you run two Ethernet
connections over a single cable.
You would need a doubler at each end, and a spare port on the router.
The doublers are 'special' RJ45 doublers that let you use the 2 spare
pairs in the cable.

But a S/H hub or switch is so cheap.. and those doublers wont work at
gigabit speeds.
Old November 1st 10, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

A hub has running costs, and gigabit performance wont make much difference
for Internet access (especially where I live!).

However an old router with DHCP switched off is another possibility.

--
Michael Chare

Old November 1st 10, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:19:02 -0000, "David"
wrote:

Hi. I have a computer stood next to my TV and it uses the TV as a monitor
its there really for the BBC iplayer but might get a little other uses too.
Shortly the Panasonic TV should be getting an upgrade to be able to do the
iplayer itself and I will then have to plug an Ethernet connector into it.
Is there some way I could use the same Ethernet lead on both.
Trying to save running a new cable from my router, or attaching a wireless
connector to the computer.

You can remove the cable from the PC and connect it to the TV but you
can't connect the same cable to both.

You could either:
- Get a small hub/switch to put near your TV and plug both PC and TV
into this, running the existing cable back to your router.
- Run another cable back to the router.
- Use homeplug devices.

(\__/) M.