News server question

Old November 6th 10, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default News server question

I am about to change ISP. AIUI my new ISP does not have a newsgroup
server. I'm not too sure at this stage what my options are. I am
using Agent and I see they offer a Usenet account. Any advice
appreciated.
Old November 6th 10, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Scott" wrote in message
I am about to change ISP. AIUI my new ISP does not have a newsgroup
server. I'm not too sure at this stage what my options are. I am
using Agent and I see they offer a Usenet account. Any advice
appreciated.

I use a free one, news.eternal-september.org I have no problems with it.
Also a friend uses a different one news.albasani.net

Think more or less text only the free one.
Regards
David

Old November 6th 10, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 08:36:17 +0000, Scott wrote:

I am about to change ISP. AIUI my new ISP does not have a newsgroup
server. I'm not too sure at this stage what my options are. I am using
Agent and I see they offer a Usenet account. Any advice appreciated.

For a quality service, I use news.individual.net. Sign up at http://
www.news.individual.net.

Costs 10 euros a year...not a lot!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old November 6th 10, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 06/11/2010 in message
Scott wrote:

I am about to change ISP. AIUI my new ISP does not have a newsgroup
server. I'm not too sure at this stage what my options are. I am
using Agent and I see they offer a Usenet account. Any advice
appreciated.

Forte re-sell one of the big services (?Giganews) and I used it for a
while, it is excellent if you want binaries and text.
If you are only interested in text then, as suggested by Bob, NIN is
superb and has very effective SPAM filters.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant
Old November 6th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

If you are only interested in text then, as suggested by Bob, NIN is

superb and has very effective SPAM filters.

Not being troubled with Spam on my free one. So looks like my free one
stopping them.

Regards
David

Old November 6th 10, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Scott" wrote in message
I am about to change ISP. AIUI my new ISP does not have a newsgroup
server. I'm not too sure at this stage what my options are. I am
using Agent and I see they offer a Usenet account. Any advice
appreciated.

Another vote for Eternal-September here. Sign up on
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...hp?language=en
and await a reply from sysop Ray Banana.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%