Sharing broadband

Old November 7th 10, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

Default Sharing broadband

I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust) if he could share my
broadband connection and contribute towards the monthly cost.

His connection would be via wireless.

Would it be possible to open my router to give him an internet
connection without him having access to shared folders on my home network?

My router is a BT Home Hub BT2700HGV running SingTel 5.29.117.3
firmware. If this is not possible with this router can anyone suggest
another one that will?

I suppose I'm asking for a router that has two separate wireless
log-in's if this is possible.

Rgds

@[email protected][email protected]~remove NOSPAM to reply [email protected][email protected][email protected]~

--
'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth'
Old November 7th 10, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:05:06 UTC, Count de Monet
wrote:

I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust) if he could share my
broadband connection and contribute towards the monthly cost.

His connection would be via wireless.

Would it be possible to open my router to give him an internet
connection without him having access to shared folders on my home network?

I *think* Windows needs machines to be in the same workgroup for them
to see shares.

My router is a BT Home Hub BT2700HGV running SingTel 5.29.117.3
firmware. If this is not possible with this router can anyone suggest
another one that will?

Do you use your wireless? On a decent router you could possibly set
him up on a different subnet - which would also solve your share
problem. Routers running OpenWRT can do more than one wfif at once.

HTH
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old November 7th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust) if he could share my
broadband connection and contribute towards the monthly cost.

His connection would be via wireless.

Would it be possible to open my router to give him an internet
connection without him having access to shared folders on my home network?

I *think* Windows needs machines to be in the same workgroup for them
to see shares.

Its not as simple as that.

He may not be able to browse them, but he sure could connect to them.

My router is a BT Home Hub BT2700HGV running SingTel 5.29.117.3
firmware. If this is not possible with this router can anyone suggest
another one that will?

Do you use your wireless? On a decent router you could possibly set
him up on a different subnet - which would also solve your share
problem. Routers running OpenWRT can do more than one wfif at once.

That's a way to go, for sure. Or assign his machines to a (group of)
fixed IP addresses and firewall them out from your machines.

HTH

Old November 7th 10, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 10:05:06 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Count de Monet disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust)

Make sure the trust is 1000% justified. The news is full of people in
whom trust was (mis-)placed.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old November 7th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

Would it be easier to isolate him by using a second WiFi wireless access
point connected to the router for yourself or him?

Just hope that he does not start visiting dodgy websites or sending
messages on behalf of terrorists :-)

I think a second access point is the way I prefer. I've a spare Netgear
DG834G router can anyone guide me through setting this up as a second
wireless network.

I take your point on the dodgy surfing etc

Old November 7th 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Count de Monet wrote:

Would it be easier to isolate him by using a second WiFi wireless access
point connected to the router for yourself or him?

Just hope that he does not start visiting dodgy websites or sending
messages on behalf of terrorists :-)

I think a second access point is the way I prefer. I've a spare Netgear
DG834G router can anyone guide me through setting this up as a second
wireless network.

I think reset its (the slave wireless router) IP address to another
network, (say 192.168.10.0) and tell your *main* router that its
interface netmask is 255.255.0,.0 (LAN SETUP)

Now provided the slave router has its netmask as default, the neighbors
nmachines wont be able to contact yours.

Then you need to set the default route on the slave router to be the IP
address of the main router. Hmm. That may not work without opening up
the netmask on the slave. Bugger.

The problem is that the netgear routes via ADSL, but its not set to
route via ethernet Neither does its firewall sit between ethernet
segments..only between WAN and ethernet.

You really need a cable router..one with a WAN Ethernet port.

I cant see a way to do it with just a pair of DSL wireless netgears.

I take your point on the dodgy surfing etc

Old November 7th 10, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Count de Monet" wrote in message
I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust) if he could share my
broadband connection and contribute towards the monthly cost.

His connection would be via wireless.

Would it be possible to open my router to give him an internet connection
without him having access to shared folders on my home network?

My router is a BT Home Hub BT2700HGV running SingTel 5.29.117.3 firmware.
If this is not possible with this router can anyone suggest another one
that will?

I suppose I'm asking for a router that has two separate wireless log-in's
if this is possible.

Given that your neighbour can get his own broadband connection for 6.49
per month from Plusnet I would suggest that was much more sensible and would
mean no responsibility for you.

Peter Crosland

Old November 7th 10, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Oakley

Check your ISP T&Cs - they usually try to stop you from doing this. They
would prefer to supply your neighbour direct! (Obviously).

Count de Monet wrote on Sun, 7 Nov 2010:
I have been asked by a neighbour (who I trust) if he could share my
broadband connection and contribute towards the monthly cost.

His connection would be via wireless.

Would it be possible to open my router to give him an internet
connection without him having access to shared folders on my home
network?

My router is a BT Home Hub BT2700HGV running SingTel 5.29.117.3
firmware. If this is not possible with this router can anyone suggest
another one that will?

I suppose I'm asking for a router that has two separate wireless
log-in's if this is possible.

Rgds

@[email protected][email protected]~remove NOSPAM to reply [email protected][email protected][email protected]~

--
Barry Oakley
The 'Reply-To' address will be valid for a short time.
Old November 7th 10, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

Given that your neighbour can get his own broadband connection for 6.49
per month from Plusnet I would suggest that was much more sensible and would
mean no responsibility for you.

Peter Crosland

He is due to move in the next six months and did not want to be tied to
a lengthy contract. He has a 3G dongle with 3 but the signal here is
poor and he has to resort to dangling his dongle out of the window (ooer
missus) to get a signal. He thinks it would be easier in the short time
left to connect to my network but I'm not happy that he could have
access to my networked PC's
Old November 8th 10, 02:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Count de Monet wrote:

Given that your neighbour can get his own broadband connection for 6.49
per month from Plusnet I would suggest that was much more sensible and
would
mean no responsibility for you.

Peter Crosland

He is due to move in the next six months and did not want to be tied to
a lengthy contract. He has a 3G dongle with 3 but the signal here is
poor and he has to resort to dangling his dongle out of the window (ooer
missus) to get a signal. He thinks it would be easier in the short time
left to connect to my network but I'm not happy that he could have
access to my networked PC's

well he should buy a wireless capable twin Ethernet cable router then.

And if he says 'don't you trust me' the standard answer is 'I don't want
to have to trust you'.