Can a Dlink DWL-2000AP be used as a Wfi Adapter?

Old November 7th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick

Default Can a Dlink DWL-2000AP be used as a Wfi Adapter?

I want to use a D-Link DWL-2000AP as a replacemnt for a USB Wifi Dongle, to
allow me to connect to my existing wireless network. Is it possible to use
one of these for this purpose? Thanks, Rick....

Old November 7th 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:29:34 -0000
"Rick" wrote:

I want to use a D-Link DWL-2000AP as a replacemnt for a USB Wifi
Dongle, to allow me to connect to my existing wireless network. Is
it possible to use one of these for this purpose? Thanks, Rick....

Yes, according to www.dlink.com
"The DWL-2000AP can be configured to perform in any one of four modes —
as a wireless access point, as a point-to-point bridge with another
access point, as a point-to-multi-point wireless bridge, or as a
wireless client."
So I expect you just need to read the manual.

Old November 7th 10, 02:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:29:34 -0000
"Rick" wrote:

I want to use a D-Link DWL-2000AP as a replacemnt for a USB Wifi
Dongle, to allow me to connect to my existing wireless network. Is
it possible to use one of these for this purpose? Thanks, Rick....

Yes, according to www.dlink.com
"The DWL-2000AP can be configured to perform in any one of four modes -
as a wireless access point, as a point-to-point bridge with another
access point, as a point-to-multi-point wireless bridge, or as a
wireless client."
So I expect you just need to read the manual.

Yes, I am not good at reading manuals Rob. Guess I will have to download it
and knuckle down then. Thanks a lot..... I assume what I need it to be is
a wireless client, is that right?

Thanks for the reply. Best Regards
Rick

Old November 7th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:32:22 -0000
"Rick" wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:29:34 -0000
"Rick" wrote:

I want to use a D-Link DWL-2000AP as a replacemnt for a USB Wifi
Dongle, to allow me to connect to my existing wireless network.
Is it possible to use one of these for this purpose? Thanks,
Rick....

Yes, according to www.dlink.com
"The DWL-2000AP can be configured to perform in any one of four
modes - as a wireless access point, as a point-to-point bridge with
another access point, as a point-to-multi-point wireless bridge, or
as a wireless client."
So I expect you just need to read the manual.

Yes, I am not good at reading manuals Rob. Guess I will have to
download it and knuckle down then. Thanks a lot.....

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/wireless/dwl-2...manual_101.pdf
The relevant bit starts at page 17.

I assume what
I need it to be is a wireless client, is that right?

Yes. Looks like it may only work when paired with another DWL-2000AP