Three Drop Outs ??

Old November 8th 10, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Three Drop Outs ??

Been trying to upload some largish multi-media files to my website -
but my Three dongle keeps losing the connection then regaining it tim
and time again. But each drop out interrupts the uploading process
which then starts over again - and again. This has been very bad at
most times of the day and night for at least the last two weeks. Is
this something to do with BT's outages? Thanks - CJB.
Old November 8th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

CJB wrote:
Been trying to upload some largish multi-media files to my website -
but my Three dongle keeps losing the connection then regaining it tim
and time again. But each drop out interrupts the uploading process
which then starts over again - and again. This has been very bad at
most times of the day and night for at least the last two weeks. Is
this something to do with BT's outages? Thanks - CJB.

You remind me of when I tried to pull 900K off an American site using a
dial up modem..calling the actual modem in their company,.

In the end I split it onto little chunks and got it that way, and glued
them all back together.

Can't it wait till; you have a decent connection?

I managed to transfer a couple of gigs over the last week, with no
problems apart from speed. 4 hours at a time..

Old November 8th 10, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

wrote:
CJB wrote:
Been trying to upload some largish multi-media files to my website -
but my Three dongle keeps losing the connection then regaining it tim
and time again. But each drop out interrupts the uploading process
which then starts over again - and again. This has been very bad at
most times of the day and night for at least the last two weeks. Is
this something to do with BT's outages? Thanks - CJB.

You remind me of when I tried to pull 900K off an American site using a
dial up modem..calling the actual modem in their company,.

In the end I split it onto little chunks and got it that way, and glued
them all back together.

Can't it wait till; you have a decent connection?

I managed to transfer a couple of gigs over the last week, with no
problems apart from speed. 4 hours at a time..

Use ftp to upload and use an ftp client that allows transfers
to be resumed. If your provider does not allow ftp
switch to a provider that does.

Filezilla seems to and is free open source and maybe Free too.

Edit/Settings/Transfers/File-exists-action/

Ask for action
Resume file transfer

Old November 8th 10, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:
CJB wrote:
[...]

yup. Thats how you slit it into little chunks..
Old November 8th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

CJB wrote:
Been trying to upload some largish multi-media files to my website -
but my Three dongle keeps losing the connection then regaining it tim
and time again. But each drop out interrupts the uploading process
which then starts over again - and again. This has been very bad at
most times of the day and night for at least the last two weeks. Is
this something to do with BT's outages? Thanks - CJB.

You remind me of when I tried to pull 900K off an American site using a
dial up modem..calling the actual modem in their company,.

In the end I split it onto little chunks and got it that way, and glued
them all back together.

I seem to recall protocols like YMODEM and Kermit doing that for me.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 8th 10, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham. wrote:
CJB wrote:
Been trying to upload some largish multi-media files to my website -
but my Three dongle keeps losing the connection then regaining it tim
and time again. But each drop out interrupts the uploading process
which then starts over again - and again. This has been very bad at
most times of the day and night for at least the last two weeks. Is
this something to do with BT's outages? Thanks - CJB.

You remind me of when I tried to pull 900K off an American site using a
dial up modem..calling the actual modem in their company,.

In the end I split it onto little chunks and got it that way, and glued
them all back together.

I seem to recall protocols like YMODEM and Kermit doing that for me.

that's another way..

This might have been before YMODEM actually

It was certainly pre UK internet.
Old November 11th 10, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

wrote:
CJB wrote:
[...]

Well perhaps in some sense, but in the destination
file system you just get the one file you started with.

It works, give it a go.

As I recall it ftp servers are required to implement random
access files, i.e. read/write this much starting from there.
It is therefore easy for a client to provide re-startable transfers
if the software developer chooses to provide it. Luckilly
there are those who do:-)) Sadly there seem to be those who
don't too.

Old November 14th 10, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

wrote:
CJB wrote:
[...]

don't too.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The issue of concern also was (and
still is) that my Three dongle's Internet connection kept dropping
out. I have five bars on the signal in West London. This is
particularly an issue on workday mornings and in the evenings. A
broadband service is supposed to be continuous isn't it? Everytime the
connection drops out and is then restored another window / tab on my
browser starts up with the Three home page. And remembering when Three
closed my account without warning a few monbths ago - I STILL have not
had an explanation, apology or compensation. Their advertising tag
line is "broadband without hassle." But Three are merely a pack of
amateurs. CJB.