AOL blocking email

Old November 9th 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default AOL blocking email

Just tried sending a message to an AOL address, from two different IP
addresses using two different smtp servers: Demon & Zen. Both have failed
with a bounce message from AOL = (RLY:B1)
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html

.... which appears to mean that the source IP addresses are temporarily
blocked.

Is this a common problem when sending mail to AOL addresses?

--
Graham J

Old November 9th 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Graham J wrote:

... which appears to mean that the source IP addresses are temporarily
blocked.

Is this a common problem when sending mail to AOL addresses?

Yes, they're quite picky, does the reverse DNS of your (external) IP
address resolve to the name your server uses in its HELO, does a forward
DNS lookup of that name resolve to the IP address?

Old November 9th 10, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
Graham J wrote:

... which appears to mean that the source IP addresses are temporarily
blocked.

Is this a common problem when sending mail to AOL addresses?

Yes, they're quite picky, does the reverse DNS of your (external) IP
address resolve to the name your server uses in its HELO, does a forward
DNS lookup of that name resolve to the IP address?

In both cases the email is sent via the ISP's mail server (post.demon.co.uk
or mailhost.zen.co.uk) So the IP address I'm sending from should not be
relevant. However both these IP addresses resolve to sensible names, and
these names in turn resolve to the correct IP address.

My understanding is that the remote SMTP server's HELO request should get a
response from my ISP's mail server, and my own IP address should not be
relevant

However sending to a different AOL address seems to work ...

--
Graham J

Old November 9th 10, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Graham J wrote:

In both cases the email is sent via the ISP's mail server

[snip]
my own IP address should not be relevant

Correct, I thought you were running your own SMTP server, that usually
causes problems with AOL. What do Demon and/or Zen say?
Old November 9th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Graham J wrote:

In both cases the email is sent via the ISP's mail server

[snip]
my own IP address should not be relevant

Correct, I thought you were running your own SMTP server, that usually
causes problems with AOL. What do Demon and/or Zen say?

Not called either yet, 'cos the problem has now gone away !!!!

--
Graham J