FTTC cabs in before exchange enablement date made public?

Old November 11th 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default FTTC cabs in before exchange enablement date made public?

How long before BT announce when an exchange is to be FTTC enabled, do BT
start putting in FTTC cabs? The reason I ask is that there's no date for my
local exchange, but there's what looks like the beginnings of a cab for some
active kit in my street; a small cab to one side with a voltage sticker on,
and a 2m*0.75m plinth. Spray paint on the pavement says "BT". I did a google
image search for 'bt fttc cabinet' and it looks to be larger than any of the
pictures I've found.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
15:18:05 up 1 day, 1:19, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.13, 0.11

Old November 11th 10, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:24:54 +0000, alexd
wrote:

How long before BT announce when an exchange is to be FTTC enabled, do BT
start putting in FTTC cabs? The reason I ask is that there's no date for my
local exchange, but there's what looks like the beginnings of a cab for some
active kit in my street; a small cab to one side with a voltage sticker on,
and a 2m*0.75m plinth. Spray paint on the pavement says "BT". I did a google
image search for 'bt fttc cabinet' and it looks to be larger than any of the
pictures I've found.

I read they are going to do the nearest town to me to be online next
year. According to the news BT haven't even decided the exact sites
for the cabinets yet.
--
(\__/) M.

Old November 11th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

alexd wrote:

How long before BT announce when an exchange is to be FTTC enabled, do BT
start putting in FTTC cabs?

Well, the newest phase announced by OpenReach seems to cover exchange
work up to March 2012, so if yours isn't on the list, I doubt they're
starting work on FTTC cabs 16 months in advance ...

Old November 11th 10, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
alexd wrote:

How long before BT announce when an exchange is to be FTTC enabled, do BT
start putting in FTTC cabs?

Well, the newest phase announced by OpenReach seems to cover exchange work
up to March 2012, so if yours isn't on the list, I doubt they're starting
work on FTTC cabs 16 months in advance ...

I have never seen one proper list from them always split up into sort of
groups, is there one source for the target dates?
Regards
David

Old November 11th 10, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

the newest phase announced by OpenReach seems to cover exchange
work up to March 2012

I have never seen one proper list from them always split up into sort of
groups, is there one source for the target dates?

They have been split into phases, I think the current work is on phases
4a and 4b, don't know if this is definitive, but it supposedly covers up
to phase 6

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/products/nga/downloads/fttc_pot_exchs.pdf

Old November 11th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
virginmedia

The BT list for my exchange says active Dec 2010 - I was upgraded to 30M
downstram with 2M upstream 10 days ago!

Peter

Old November 11th 10, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"alexd" wrote in message ...
How long before BT announce when an exchange is to be FTTC enabled, do BT
start putting in FTTC cabs? The reason I ask is that there's no date for my
local exchange, but there's what looks like the beginnings of a cab for some
active kit in my street; a small cab to one side with a voltage sticker on,
and a 2m*0.75m plinth. Spray paint on the pavement says "BT". I did a google
image search for 'bt fttc cabinet' and it looks to be larger than any of the
pictures I've found.

I can't answer that, but when my local cabinet appeared I posted this on 1 July
http://snipurl.com/1fnp3y
This morning, 11 Nov, I got a letter inviting me to join BT Infinity. That's not to say thay are ready
to connect subscribers, but I assume it is close.

I think this street had one of the first cabinets in the area, so perhaps 4-5 months from the start of
fibre deployment to connecting customers. That seems to be the case here.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 11th 10, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

MRPRE if you want to look up the FTTC date.
I kind of thought there would need to be some cabinets before an exchange was regarded as enabled, but you know what thought did ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 11th 10, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Andy
Burns chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Well, the newest phase announced by OpenReach seems to cover exchange
work up to March 2012, so if yours isn't on the list, I doubt they're
starting work on FTTC cabs 16 months in advance ...

OK. So it's probably just another cell site then :-(

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:36:54 up 11 days, 7 min, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.25
Old November 12th 10, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 11/11/10 20:09, virginmedia wrote:

The BT list for my exchange says active Dec 2010 - I was upgraded to 30M
downstram with 2M upstream 10 days ago!

My exchange, Portsmouth Central is "Dec 2010".

Today I saw a roadworks man removing the barriers that had been erected
around the holes that I presume were dug to allow the ducting to be
connected to a new cabinet about 100 yards from my flat. I'll stick pics
up tomorrow if I get the chance (weather permitting).

I'm pretty sure it's an OpenReach FTTC cab, and not some VirginMedia
contraption, although it's next to what I think is a VirginMedia box and
across the road from what I think is an existing OpenReach cabinet.

As I said, I shall take pics tomorrow if it's not too wet.

Rgds

Denis McMahon