FTTC installation

Old November 13th 10, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default FTTC installation

I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!) Could anyone let me know
what exactly Openreach are doing since AIUI the fibre is only to the
street cabinet an my telephone line is not changing.

Also, are there any intelligent questions I should be asking? There
is a (GPO) junction box where the line enters the premises and another
junction box (probably installed by the previous owner) before the
line reaches the master socket. Should I be raising the question or
recabling internally?

Thanks.
Old November 13th 10, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!) Could anyone let me know
what exactly Openreach are doing since AIUI the fibre is only to the
street cabinet an my telephone line is not changing.

AIUI you get an "RJ45" socket rather than an RJ11 for their VDSL router
to plug into, this then gives you a single Ethernet socket, so if you
need multiple PCs or WiFi you need a router/firewall with Ethernet
rather than ADSL on its WAN side (same as you'd need for a cableco
connection)

Presumably they'll get round to offering a wires-only version eventually?

Old November 13th 10, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:04:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!) Could anyone let me know
what exactly Openreach are doing since AIUI the fibre is only to the
street cabinet an my telephone line is not changing.

AIUI you get an "RJ45" socket rather than an RJ11 for their VDSL router
to plug into, this then gives you a single Ethernet socket, so if you
need multiple PCs or WiFi you need a router/firewall with Ethernet
rather than ADSL on its WAN side (same as you'd need for a cableco
connection)

Presumably they'll get round to offering a wires-only version eventually?

Thanks. I have already fitted a filtered faceplate. I'm not sure if
this is RJ45 or RJ11 (actually I don't know the difference). Will
Openreach be fitting a new master socket or just a faceplate to the
existing one?
Old November 13th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

Scott wrote:

[...]

From experience with Rutland Telecom FYTTC, the telephone installation at
the customer's premises is indistinguishable from what is required for
conventional ADSL. A single phone socket is provided.

You then require a microfilter to isolate the voice circuit so that you can
connect a telephone without it interfering with the VDSL (Very-high-bitrate
DSL) service - exactly as you would for ADSL.

Small microfilters have an RJ-11 socket for connection to the modem or
router. If you have a faceplate microfilter it will have an RJ-45 socket
for the connection to the modem or router. This allows a conventional cat5
cable with RJ-45 plugs to extend the unfiltered connection if desired. An
RJ-11 plug will go into an RJ-45 socket - the plug is narrower, having only
6 connection points (generally only 4 are used) rather than the 8 connection
points of the RJ-45.

The VDSL service requires an appropriate modem - one that supports VDSL. I
expect this will be provided by the ISP. It will probably present the user
service on an Ethernet port, so there will be a single RJ-45 connector. It
will carry the single IP address issued to the service by the ISP. You
could (arguably should) connect an ethernet router to this to provide NAT to
allow the connection of multiple computers and to provide a firewall.

At the street cabinet a DSLAM separates the data circuit and connects it to
the fibre. The voice circuit continues along a copper pair to the exchange.

I can't see why an Openreach engineer would be needed at the customer
premises any more than for ADSL. Having said that, in the early days of
ADSL it was always installed by (then) BT, in order to ensure that the
premises wiring was adequate.

My experience with Rutland Telecom was for the installation of a new line so
the Openreach engineer was required, just as he would have been had the
telephone service been bought from BT.

A problem with the VDSL router is that the customer has no way to
interrogate the line statistics so cannot complain meaningfully when the
service is unreliable. I woul be interested to see how Zen handle this.

--
Graham J

Old November 13th 10, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Scott wrote:
I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!)

As I understand it the engineer will do some tests. If the speed achieved is
below 15Mbps, you can't have the service - perhaps this is why self-install
isn't available.

Old November 13th 10, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:16:40 -0000, "Pete Zahut"
wrote:

Scott wrote:
I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!)

As I understand it the engineer will do some tests. If the speed achieved is
below 15Mbps, you can't have the service - perhaps this is why self-install
isn't available.

Wait a minute. This is a fibre to the cabinet service. If the speed
is too low does this not mean that there is a problem with the
(copper) line from the cabinet to the premises and is it not then BT's
responsibility to replace the line?

I know the argument will be that the line is 'fit for purpose' as a
telepone line and BT is not obliged to offer FTTC service BUT I am
buying from another supplier so is it not then BT/Openreach
responsiblity to provide the infrastructure? (I am not expecting any
problem as I have great phone line, but I was just wondering.)
Old November 13th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

I have already fitted a filtered faceplate. I'm not sure if
this is RJ45 or RJ11 (actually I don't know the difference). Will
Openreach be fitting a new master socket or just a faceplate to the
existing one?

That I don't know, I'm only going by stories here(?) and there by people
who have had it installed, given that the faceplates are actually
straight through on the DSL side, don't see why they can't just connect
them via the existing RJ11, maybe they have to be sure of removing all
existing microfilters etc?

Old November 13th 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

"Pete wrote:

As I understand it the engineer will do some tests. If the speed achieved is
below 15Mbps, you can't have the service

Wait a minute. This is a fibre to the cabinet service. If the speed
is too low does this not mean that there is a problem with the
(copper) line from the cabinet to the premises and is it not then BT's
responsibility to replace the line?

Broadband isn't part of their universal service obligation, if it won't
run at a decent speed, and they can't make straightforward changes to
make it do so, they have no need to offer you the service.

I remember one tale of woe here where someone who had the engineer
install and was only getting 8Mbps service, and BT were about to
withdraw the service, turned out they'd fitted an ADSL router, not a
VDSL router!

Likely it'll just work ... you jammy *******!

Old November 13th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 13/11/2010 10:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Scott wrote:

I am getting FTTC (Zen not BT) on Thursday. An Openreach engineer is
coming to do the work. (I offered to have a go if they sent me the
components but this offer was declined!) Could anyone let me know
what exactly Openreach are doing since AIUI the fibre is only to the
street cabinet an my telephone line is not changing.

AIUI you get an "RJ45" socket rather than an RJ11 for their VDSL router
to plug into, this then gives you a single Ethernet socket, so if you
need multiple PCs or WiFi you need a router/firewall with Ethernet
rather than ADSL on its WAN side (same as you'd need for a cableco

I had FTTC installed 6 weeks ago, (IDnet not BT Infinity).

The BT Openreach engineer installs a new front to your NTE5 box.
This has two sockets, one for the POTs phone connection, another that
the BT supplied VDSL modem plugs into. I'm not at home currently but
ISTR it's an RJ45 socket, however the input socket on the VDSL modem is
RJ11. An RJ11 connector will plug into an RJ45, but not vice versa. For
certain it's an RJ11 double ender lead that goes between the faceplate
and the VDSL modem.

so if you
need multiple PCs or WiFi you need a router/firewall with Ethernet
rather than ADSL on its WAN side (same as you'd need for a cableco)

Yes, spot on. RJ45 CAT 5 double ender to the router. An 'ADSL' one is no
good. I went for a Netgear WGR614, you need to enter your username and
password and tick 'PPPoE' authentication. If you wish to connect the
VDSL box directly to a single PC you can, again you need PPPoE
authentication, but remember there will be no protection from a NAT
firewall, what comes out of that VDSL box is the raw, DMZ, big bad
internet, so make sure you've got a watertight software firewall
installed first !

--
Mark

http://www.paras.org.uk/
Old November 13th 10, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Scott wrote:

[...]

So taking it all as 'black boxes' its pretty much the same as a Virgin
cable setup?

Ethernet presentation of Big Bad Internet at about 20Mbps.

I wonder if our exchange will skip LLU and ADSL2 and go straight FTTC in
about 5 years time...;-)