FTTC or Virgin?

Old November 14th 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default FTTC or Virgin?

Just a quick request for advice: I am told, by the BT ADSL checker, that the
street cabinet I use should be FTTC enabled by end of March and that I may
be able to receive a downstream speed of 28 Mbps.

I am current receiving a downstream speed of 2 Mbps with a less than 72
hour synch speed of 3904 Kbps.

Would you switch to Virgin now (claiming availability of 50 Mbps) or wait
until March for a possible Zen Internet speed of 28 Mbps?

I'm paying about 25 a month for Zen Internet plus the BT line rental.

With Virgin special offers (due to end 22/11) I would be paying less than
that per month for the first six months for broadband (50 Mbps with minor
traffic shaping only on P2P), television (more channels than Freeview and
Sky 1) and landline telephone (free weekend calls). Then about 43 a month
for the remaining 12 months (minus a 50 credit on the first bill minus a
chashback website order tracking offer of about 60).

I like Zen Internet (they are seriously and by far the best I have tried)
but the money maths strongly suggest Virgin.

Would I definitely get FTTC speeds shortly after rollout? I've read that an
engineer visit may be needed. This suggests that the end result will not be
a foregone conclusion.

Old November 14th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Gareth wrote:
[...]

As the FTTC still relies on a copper pair, you won't know what results
you will get until you try.

If you are on a bit if Virginmedia that was installed properly and there
aren't complaints about problems in your area on the Virginmedia forums
then I would suggest going that way. The only caveat is if upstream is
important to you, in which case you might end up with more with FTTC,
but maybe not.
Old November 15th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:35:51 -0000, "Gareth"
wrote:

With Virgin special offers (due to end 22/11) I would be paying less than
that per month for the first six months for broadband (50 Mbps with minor
traffic shaping only on P2P),

Um no - not just P2P - also USENET (wrecked in the evenings at least and
currently I have found no published time zones for thus throttling).
And they have indicated previously that other throttling (as per lower Mbs
offerings ) could be introduced on 50Mbs in the future.

--
Geo