BT does it AGAIN

Old November 17th 10, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default BT does it AGAIN

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Who can one complain to?

Old November 17th 10, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Underhand way of reducing the exchange backhaul load, maybe? Are you
hammering your connection?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old November 17th 10, 04:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Underhand way of reducing the exchange backhaul load, maybe? Are you
hammering your connection?

Not really, no.

I personally think BT's ATM circuits are all on the limit.

Old November 17th 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:17:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Interesting. I have a similar issue (but at lower speeds).

Who can one complain to?

No-one unless your sync speed is below the FTR.

You can some routers that will let you "adjust" the target margin but
I didn't get a great deal of success with this.
--
(\__/) M.

Old November 17th 10, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Interesting. I have a similar issue (but at lower speeds).

Who can one complain to?

No-one unless your sync speed is below the FTR.

You can some routers that will let you "adjust" the target margin but
I didn't get a great deal of success with this.

So far as I've found these adjusments only allow an increase in target
margin, with the intention of improving reliability, and a consequent drop
in speed.

--
Graham J

Old November 17th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:32:25 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

.. .
wrote:

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Interesting. I have a similar issue (but at lower speeds).

Who can one complain to?

No-one unless your sync speed is below the FTR.

You can some routers that will let you "adjust" the target margin but
I didn't get a great deal of success with this.

So far as I've found these adjusments only allow an increase in target
margin, with the intention of improving reliability, and a consequent drop
in speed.

With many Netgear routers (using the dgteam firmware) you could also
lower the target margin to get higher sync speed. I have done this
myself with a DG834GT. However I have found that the netgear at 9dB
would give about the same sync speed as a 2700HGV at 12dB. Attempting
to lower the Netgear down below 60% caused stability problems even
though the connection would be stable if the target margin was
genuinely set at 6dB.
--
(\__/) M.

Old November 17th 10, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Anything below 3424kbps sync rate and your profile will drop to
2500kbps. You say your line is 'rock solid' and then report that there's
variance in the sync speed? Surely the two are mutually exclusive?

Who can one complain to?

Based on your comments, your line is dropping out enough times for
Wholesale's Dynamic Line Management systems to increase your target
SNR/lower your IP Profile.

Old November 17th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is rock
solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till it
drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Who can one complain to?

All you sure it's rock solid all night?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old November 17th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

wrote:

They want me to have at most a 2500 BRAS despite the fact my line is
rock solid at 3600-4000Mbps sync, they keep upping the noise margin till
it drops below 3500, at which point I lose the 3000 BRAS.

Interesting. I have a similar issue (but at lower speeds).

Who can one complain to?

No-one unless your sync speed is below the FTR.

You can some routers that will let you "adjust" the target margin but
I didn't get a great deal of success with this.

Netgear DGND3300 allows this:

System Up Time 173:12:29
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN Static IP 3049954 4228216 0 1141 896 172:17:29
LAN 10M/100M 909242 379651 0 358 107 173:12:25
WLAN 11M/54M/270M 2684852 1806197 0 4804 729 173:12:10
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 22445 kbps 1390 kbps
Line Attenuation 26.0 db 12.6 db
Noise Margin 0.9 db 3.6 db

I'm with BE on a 6db profile but fix my target SNR at 1db with DMT. Never
get any disconnects, my line is all underground or in metal conduit so
hardly any SNR change

Paul

Old November 18th 10, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:50:58 -0000, "Paulg0"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

What you can achieve on a short, good quality line is very different
from a long, poor quality line.
--
(\__/) M.