Windows 7 laptop cannot get IP address from router

Old November 17th 10, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Windows 7 laptop cannot get IP address from router

I was trying to set up a laptop (Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 Home Premium) to a
router (Netgear DGN1000) yesterday.

The laptop worked perfectly when connected by Ethernet. Another laptop
(Vista Professional) connected to the router wirelessly (WPA-PSK security).
There was no MAC address filtering configured on the router.

However the Win 7 PC would not connect to the router wirelessly. The network
icon in the system tray displayed the network, prompted for key and accepted
the router's key; if I deliberately entered an incorrect key the PC prompted
for it to be entered again - so it could distinguish good from bad! Having
entered the correct key the network was described as being connected - but
the network was listed as "unknown network" and "no internet access".

ipconfig showed that the PC was not being given an IP address: it was
getting a 169.x.x.x address.

I tried turning the router's security off, deleting the network profile from
the laptop's list of wireless networks and connecting again. As before, the
network was shown as being connected, unknown and with a 169 address. I then
turned WPA-PSK back on again.

I established that signal strength was good (the router and laptop were next
to each other, as was the Vista laptop that worked). The router was set to
Auto (Wireless B/G/N) and auto channel, though I tried setting it to B/G
only and an explicit channel which InSSIDer on the Vista PC showed was free
of any other network.

In desperation I set a static IP address, gateway address and DNS server,
having first excluded that static IP from the router's DHCP pool.

The laptop worked perfectly from that point onwards.

Can anyone think what I may have failed to test in diagnosing the problem?

Old November 17th 10, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 11/17/10 09:16 AM, Mortimer wrote:
[...]

I have run into similar problems when the router was too close to the PC
resulting in a signal that was too strong, not that the PC software
would report that kind of problem... Most PC's are not affected by this
but it has turned up a time or two. Try testing with the PC a room away
from the router and see if it connects properly from there.