FTTC Service

Old November 20th 10, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Wade

Default FTTC Service

I have been looking at FTTC services. whilst the BT offerings look
affordable, I don't really want to go back to BT. All the other offerings
seem to be twice the price. Are there any other offerings that are
affordable?

Old November 21st 10, 02:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Beattie

You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in
the UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then
copper.

It all depends on your area as well, use the exchange checker at
samknows.com to find out what services are available in your area.

Old November 21st 10, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Paul Beattie wrote:

You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in the
UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then copper.

FTTC (on the UK at least) is fibre to the cabinet, Virgin and BT both
have fibre to the cabinet, and then either twisted pair copper or coax
copper to the home.
Old November 21st 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Paul Beattie wrote:

You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in the
UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then
copper.

FTTC (on the UK at least) is fibre to the cabinet, Virgin and BT both have
fibre to the cabinet, and then either twisted pair copper or coax copper
to the home.

Some other providers over BT lines a

fast www.fast.co.uk
timico www.timico.co.uk
aquiss www.aquiss.net/broadband-fibre.php
Eclipse www.eclipse.net.uk/
Idnet http://www.idnet.net/
vicitia http://www.vivaciti.net
Zen www.zen.co.uk
aaisp http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-units.html
adsl 24 http://adsl24.co.uk

Paul

Old November 21st 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Paul Beattie wrote:
: You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in
: the UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then
: copper.

I thought several other ISPs were poised to resell FTTC. In the case of
LLU operators I would presume that they would take the Exchange
connection through to to their own DSLAM.

Old November 21st 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:31:04 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Dave Wade" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Are there any other offerings that are
affordable?

I don't know what your income or outgoings are so I cannot say g.

73s
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old November 21st 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Beattie

On 2010-11-21 07:19:14 +0000, Andy Burns said:

Paul Beattie wrote:

You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in the
UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then copper.

FTTC (on the UK at least) is fibre to the cabinet, Virgin and BT both
have fibre to the cabinet, and then either twisted pair copper or coax
copper to the home.

Sorry for that, I had a brain fart last night when I was writing this.
I was confused with FTTP. Others have covered the options now. My
apologies.

Old November 21st 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 21/11/10 10:42, Brian Mc wrote:
Paul Beattie wrote:
: You don't have many choices for FTTC. The only true FTTC provider in
: the UK are H2O networks or BT. Virgin is Fibre to the cabinet and then
: copper.

I thought several other ISPs were poised to resell FTTC. In the case of
LLU operators I would presume that they would take the Exchange
connection through to to their own DSLAM.

How? The FTTC DSLAM is in the street cabinet, and street cabinets aren't
big enough for multiple operators to each install their own DSLAMs.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old November 21st 10, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Denis McMahon wrote:

On 21/11/10 10:42, Brian Mc wrote:

I thought several other ISPs were poised to resell FTTC.

How? The FTTC DSLAM is in the street cabinet, and street cabinets aren't
big enough for multiple operators to each install their own DSLAMs.

They'll have to pay OpenReach for backhaul from the cab, via the
exchange(s) to their datacentre ... unless they install their own street
cabs and fibre, Rutland Telecom being the only one I'm aware of doing
that on a small scale, perhaps there are others.

Old November 21st 10, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Beattie

On 2010-11-21 13:47:15 +0000, Andy Burns said:

Denis McMahon wrote:

On 21/11/10 10:42, Brian Mc wrote:

I thought several other ISPs were poised to resell FTTC.

How? The FTTC DSLAM is in the street cabinet, and street cabinets aren't
big enough for multiple operators to each install their own DSLAMs.

They'll have to pay OpenReach for backhaul from the cab, via the
exchange(s) to their datacentre ... unless they install their own
street cabs and fibre, Rutland Telecom being the only one I'm aware of
doing that on a small scale, perhaps there are others.

The point Denis is making is that the street cabinets being installed
by Openreach at the moment aren't big enough to house everybody's
equipment. If Sky wanted to "unbundle" a street they would have to
install their own cable to the street, install their own cabinet.
Completely removing BT/Openreach.