Running my own email server

Old November 21st 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Giskard Reventlov

Default Running my own email server

?I want to run my own email server

I use Vodafone at home for my ISP and installed and set up the Axigen Email
Server
I have a DynDNS pro account and set up my MX record as per their help file.

Emails TO my server get through 100% of the time with no delay.

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message, get
through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error message
saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.

Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a Dynamic IP
or is their something I can do?

Old November 21st 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

R.Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message,
get through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error
message saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.
Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a Dynamic
IP or is their something I can do?

It's certainly a hazard, can you get a static IP address from your ISP?
If so, and you organize reverse DNS of that IP address to point back to
a host in your domain, then forward DNS for that host to point to the IP
address, you should have more success.

Also have a look to see how "spammy" your ISP allows their other
customers to be, you'll be tarred with the same brush to a certain extent.

http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php

Old November 21st 10, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Beattie

On 2010-11-21 10:27:05 +0000, R.Giskard Reventlov said:

?I want to run my own email server

I use Vodafone at home for my ISP and installed and set up the Axigen
Email Server
I have a DynDNS pro account and set up my MX record as per their help file.

Emails TO my server get through 100% of the time with no delay.

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message,
get through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error
message saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.

Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a
Dynamic IP or is their something I can do?

Many blacklists tend to block en-mass dynamic IPs from ISPs as these
tend to be windows boxes with a small mail server sitting on them
sending out mail to anyone and everyone, much like the virus in a
virtual machine I have does when it gets internet access. Some ISPs
even block port 25 outbound connections from their lines, you get
around this with SMTP to the likes of Gmail or Yahoo by using the
alternative SMTP ports.

As Andy said the best option for you is to talk to your ISP about
getting a static IP, I'm not sure if Vodafone can provide that, I've
forgotten who they are reselling. Failing that try looking at a
business ISP or ISP that provides static IPs. Even then you have the
trouble of getting the reverse DNS setup to be the same as the host
within your domain e.g. mail.mydomain.co.uk rather than
adsl81-23-12-67.dsl.vodafone.co.uk. That is another sign of spam as
your mail server presents itself as the former and the server you
connect to sees it as the latter.

Running your own mail server also comes with risks, if you get a spam
bomb your connection is essentially taken out until it finishes.

Old November 21st 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"R.Giskard Reventlov" wrote in message
?I want to run my own email server

I use Vodafone at home for my ISP and installed and set up the Axigen
Email Server
I have a DynDNS pro account and set up my MX record as per their help
file.

Emails TO my server get through 100% of the time with no delay.

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message, get
through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error message
saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.

Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a Dynamic
IP or is their something I can do?

The following items are probably mandatory:

1) Static IP

2) Properly set up reverse DNS

3) Properly set up SPF record

--
Graham J

Old November 21st 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 21/11/10 10:27, R.Giskard Reventlov wrote:
?I want to run my own email server

I use Vodafone at home for my ISP and installed and set up the Axigen
Email Server
I have a DynDNS pro account and set up my MX record as per their help file.

Emails TO my server get through 100% of the time with no delay.

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message,
get through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error
message saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.

Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a Dynamic
IP or is their something I can do?

Best is to tell your email server to route everything through your ISP's
(i.e. vodaphone's) outgoing smtp service.

Dynamically allocated ip ranges are blocked as a spam prevention by a
lot of places. Dropping such messages on the floor is not unusual.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old November 21st 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 21/11/10 12:35, Graham J wrote:

The following items are probably mandatory:

1) Static IP

2) Properly set up reverse DNS

3) Properly set up SPF record

Even with all of these in place, you'll probably find some mail systems
(e.g. Yahoo) treat all your emails as spam.

I've filled in Yahoo's forms several times to ask them to not blacklist
my static IP, but their email system still puts the dreaded
header in to my emails - indicating the address is blacklisted.

Old November 21st 10, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:46:03 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

On 21/11/10 12:35, Graham J wrote:

The following items are probably mandatory:

1) Static IP

2) Properly set up reverse DNS

3) Properly set up SPF record

Even with all of these in place, you'll probably find some mail systems
(e.g. Yahoo) treat all your emails as spam.

I've filled in Yahoo's forms several times to ask them to not blacklist
my static IP, but their email system still puts the dreaded
header in to my emails - indicating the address is blacklisted.

The IP (even if static) needs to be in a block marked as 'business'
rather than 'residential' (or some such).

That works OK for me, running my own mail server here.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old November 21st 10, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

R.Giskard Reventlov wrote:
?I want to run my own email server

I use Vodafone at home for my ISP and installed and set up the Axigen
Email Server
I have a DynDNS pro account and set up my MX record as per their help file.

Emails TO my server get through 100% of the time with no delay.

Emails FROM my server either never get through with no error message,
get through and but get marked as junk, get rejected with an error
message saying Barracuda has blocked it or occasionally get through Ok.

Is this just a fact of life trying to run an email server from a Dynamic
IP or is their something I can do?

Its a fact of life if you are sending direct from a dynamic address..

It's best to send via your ISP'S relay to avoid this.
Old November 21st 10, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message
On 21/11/10 12:35, Graham J wrote:

The following items are probably mandatory:

1) Static IP

2) Properly set up reverse DNS

3) Properly set up SPF record

Even with all of these in place, you'll probably find some mail systems
(e.g. Yahoo) treat all your emails as spam.

I've filled in Yahoo's forms several times to ask them to not blacklist
my static IP, but their email system still puts the dreaded
header in to my emails - indicating the address is blacklisted.

Anybody with a yahoo email address is probably not a serious business
contact anyway ...

--
Graham J

Old November 21st 10, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 21/11/10 16:14, Graham J wrote:

Anybody with a yahoo email address is probably not a serious business
contact anyway ...

Perhaps not, but btinternet.com and btopenworld.com email addresses are
handled by Yahoo's servers - and there are plenty of small traders using
such addresses.