VPN Connection Problem

Old November 23rd 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

Default VPN Connection Problem

Hi

I have a simple network of 2 PCs, 1 Wireless Laptop, 1 Xbox and a CCTV
Recorder. The CCTV recorder has a fixed IP address of 192.168.150.50, all
other devices use DHCP to get an IP address off the router in the range
192.168.150.10 to 192.168.150.40

The router is a Cisco WRVS4400N with the WAN port connected to a Netgear
DM111P ethernet modem.

Using both the QuickVPN client and an IPSec LAN to LAN connection to a remote
LAN I can successfully make a VPN connection. Using either connection method
I can ping any device that's registered on the network with a DHCP assigned
address.

My problem is that I can't connect remotely to the CCTV or ping it, but if I
use the WRVS4400N diagnostics tools supplied on the router I can ping the
CCTV device and I have no trouble connecting to it from any computer on the
LAN.

Before installing the Cisco router I used to use a Draytek 2800G DSL VPN
router which worked like a dream, so I know the idea of connecting remotely
to the CCTV recorder works, but I can't make any sense of the Cisco kit.

Can anyone offer any suggestions where I might look, or if worst comes to
worst any alternative kit that would fulfil the task?

TIA

--
Regards
Barry
Old November 23rd 10, 10:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Barry wrote:
I have a simple network of 2 PCs, 1 Wireless Laptop, 1 Xbox and a CCTV
Recorder. The CCTV recorder has a fixed IP address of 192.168.150.50, all
other devices use DHCP to get an IP address off the router in the range
192.168.150.10 to 192.168.150.40

My problem is that I can't connect remotely to the CCTV or ping it, but if I
use the WRVS4400N diagnostics tools supplied on the router I can ping the
CCTV device and I have no trouble connecting to it from any computer on the
LAN.

Sounds suspiciously like the default route isn't set (correctly, or at
all) on the CCTV device.

Chris
Old November 26th 10, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

On 23/11/2010 21:38:09, Chris Davies wrote:

Sounds suspiciously like the default route isn't set (correctly, or at
all) on the CCTV device.

Hi Chris,

I'm not familar with your terminology 'default route'?

--
Regards
Barry
Old November 26th 10, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Barry wrote:
I'm not familar with your terminology 'default route'?

It defines the device (host, system, computer, router, whatever) that
"knows" how to get to "everywhere else on the Internet".

Given you don't know what it means, it's highly likely you need to go back
to the configuration screen for the CCTV device, look for this entry, and
put your router's IP address in. (Typically, when defining information for
a static IP address, one gets to define the device's IP address, netmask,
and default route. Sometimes you'll also be asked for a DNS server.)

Chris
Old November 27th 10, 03:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Barry wrote:
I'm not familar with your terminology 'default route'?

It defines the device (host, system, computer, router, whatever) that
"knows" how to get to "everywhere else on the Internet".

Given you don't know what it means, it's highly likely you need to go
back to the configuration screen for the CCTV device, look for this
entry, and put your router's IP address in. (Typically, when defining
information for a static IP address, one gets to define the device's
IP address, netmask, and default route. Sometimes you'll also be
asked for a DNS server.)

It's probably called "gateway" on the config page, which may well be
why he's unfamiliar with "default route".

Old November 29th 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Rob Morley wrote:
It's probably called "gateway" on the config page, which may well be
why he's unfamiliar with "default route".

Duh. Now why didn't I think of that :-)

Thanks for the addition
Chris
Old November 29th 10, 04:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

On 29/11/2010 09:32:06, Chris Davies wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
It's probably called "gateway" on the config page, which may well be
why he's unfamiliar with "default route".

Duh. Now why didn't I think of that :-)

Thanks for the addition
Chris

Thanks Chris, now I understand what you were getting at, I can configure an
IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. So I'll double check and see
what they are set at, even though I am pretty sure thay are correct it won't
be the first time that finger trouble is the culprit!

--
Regards
Barry
Old December 1st 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

On 29/11/2010 09:32:06, Chris Davies wrote:

It's probably called "gateway" on the config page, which may well be
why he's unfamiliar with "default route".

Hi Chris

Just to follow up, I checked out the hardware today and it's definitely set
up correctly, fixed IP address of 192.168.150.50, subnet of 255.255.255.0 and
default gateway of 192.168.150.1

I am unimpressed with this Cisco WRVS4400N router, whilst I was checking the
settings on the DVR today the router decided to factory reset all of its own
free will. I also phoned Cisco small business support, they wouldn't help
because the unit is out of its 90 day support warranty. I offered to pay and
they still wouldn't (couldn't) help!

The trouble is I'm not really sure what's at fault here, but what I do know
is that the system worked fine with an old Draytek 2800G ADSL Router.

Can anyone recommend a good VPN router with at least 4 ports and possible
wireless (but not essential)?

--
Regards
Barry
Old December 1st 10, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Barry wrote:
Just to follow up, I checked out the hardware today and it's definitely set
up correctly, fixed IP address of 192.168.150.50, subnet of 255.255.255.0 and
default gateway of 192.168.150.1

The subnet and default gateway are the same as given to your DHCP
devices? If so, then I don't think I've really got any other suggestions,
sorry.

Chris
Old December 1st 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

Chris Davies wrote:

The subnet and default gateway are the same as given to your DHCP
devices? If so, then I don't think I've really got any other
suggestions,
sorry.

I've found a report on a Cisco router where any devices with a fixed IP
address (not provided by DHCP) were unable to access the WAN. I'm even
more convinced that the router itself is the culprit so I'm looking for
an alternative. A Netgear product seems top of the list at the moment.

It irritates me that these companies can sell gear apparently unfit for
purpose and get away with it.

Thanks for your input.

Barry