Hotmail account address book hacked?

Old November 24th 10, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Hotmail account address book hacked?

Somebody I know has just apparently had his Hotmail contacts list
spammed, but only those people got spammed.

What could explain this?

IMHO, if somebody did a bit of "social engineering" on your login, it
would be somebody trying to **** you off, and would they bother to
sell those few names to a spammer?

I wonder if Hotmail have (again) been hit by an internal leak of their
entire database?
Old November 24th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 24/11/10 11:04, Peter wrote:
Somebody I know has just apparently had his Hotmail contacts list
spammed, but only those people got spammed.

What could explain this?

IMHO, if somebody did a bit of "social engineering" on your login, it
would be somebody trying to **** you off, and would they bother to
sell those few names to a spammer?

I wonder if Hotmail have (again) been hit by an internal leak of their
entire database?

What happens is people sign in to a website that lets them use their
hotmail username and id, and the website then captures their whole
contacts list.

I tend to go into "where's my bargepole" mode whenever a website invites
me to log in using some form of social networking credentials, but I
understand that there are people out there that quite happily do so.

For example, www.zorpia.com - login with facebook (but what they don't
tell you is that doing so will give them access to all your facebook
friends).

Then again I also understand that MSN now allows social gaming, I
suspect that signing up to a game may allow that game to spam all your
contacts too - it certainly seems to work that way on facebook (where I
regularly block games on the basis of they spammed me, and never sign up
to anything that grants access to my contacts).

Social networking is great, but "just because I want to play x means x
should spam everyone I know" is not a valid premise.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old November 24th 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Peter
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

What could explain this?

I've had this happen to four people I know [that I'm in the address book
for, at least]. The one person I spoke to about it - the Mrs - had a
ludicrously obvious password.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

Old November 24th 10, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:04:32 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Peter disturbed my reverie and wrote:

IMHO, if somebody did a bit of "social engineering" on your login, it
would be somebody trying to **** you off, and would they bother to
sell those few names to a spammer?

Hotmail is the least secure of all the online webmail services. Once
easily answerable question and one is in, especially if the dick who
owns the account uses 'correct' answers for their questions. There are
some real tools about.
Old November 25th 10, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

Yup. i thought long and hard about te question/answer bit.

Q. What is the color of my pet rabbit?

A. What pet rabbit?

I thought that any twit who keyed in every colour under the sun would
have a merry time on that one.

C'mon you expect us to believe that? You're not so silly as to post a
correct Q&A here.

Like the survey - "tell me your password, and I'll give you a Mars Bar".
Conclusion - people are willing to give out their passwords for silly
reasons. Possible alternate explanations: Password isn't actually
_used_ for anything, but was made up to get the sweet.

Andy
Old November 25th 10, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Champ wrote:

Yup. i thought long and hard about te question/answer bit.

Q. What is the color of my pet rabbit?

A. What pet rabbit?

I thought that any twit who keyed in every colour under the sun would
have a merry time on that one.

C'mon you expect us to believe that? You're not so silly as to post a
correct Q&A here.

Since I have entirely forgotten which website it was on - it being over
7 years ago, be my guest.

Like the survey - "tell me your password, and I'll give you a Mars Bar".
Conclusion - people are willing to give out their passwords for silly
reasons. Possible alternate explanations: Password isn't actually
_used_ for anything, but was made up to get the sweet.

I THINK it was a password to a financial information site I no longer use.

But since you don't know the silly name I used to log in with or which
email address I used, I doubt its enough on its own

Andy