Mobile Broadband dongles/suppliers

Old November 25th 10, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MalcolmP

Default Mobile Broadband dongles/suppliers

Hi, I'm contemplating taking the great leap forward to broadband with a
mobile USB dongle.
When I do a check for my postcode one lot, "3", says "good service in this
area" but another, "O2", says "we do not recommend .. for this area"
This surprised me cos I had thought that they would all use the same
transmitter network / infrastructure.

Is one lot being optimistic and the other pess. or do they really have
different coverages ?

PS. Those two gave me free text checks but "T-Mobile" charged me 10p
(twice) to send and never replied ! :-(
Old November 26th 10, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

After serious thinking MalcolmP wrote :
This surprised me cos I had thought that they would all use the same
transmitter network / infrastructure

What made you think each network doesn't have its own infrastructure?

Old November 26th 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:03:03 +0000, MalcolmP
wrote:

Hi, I'm contemplating taking the great leap forward to broadband with a
mobile USB dongle.

snip
Three now HSUPA, definitely worth considering, IMHO!
--
"A useless life is an early Death" Goethe
Old November 26th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WaltA

Three now HSUPA, definitely worth considering, IMHO!

HSUPA ??

ZTE MF112 on sale at the usual
suspects doesn't either, HSDPA/UMTS/GSM/GPRS/EDGE only.

Thanks for the infos guys,
I have a lot to learn, dont know what any of those are ! Dont know if I
need it/them, I will do some googling and be back later,

** So _all_ the operaters have their own infrastructure, or do some
resell/lease/share ? **

My internet needs are modest (websurf, a little email and a little usenet)
and till now dialup has satisfied, I dont need megga downloads so
superhighspeeds are not an issue. I dont do P2P anymore and I dont think
"3" supports that anyway ?
Dont know if this is the right place to ask - does "3" have (binary)usenet
newsgroup server, cant see anything on their website. Any pointer to a good
review site on them ?
Old November 26th 10, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MalcolmP

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:10:57 +0000, WaltA wrote:
** So _all_ the operaters have their own infrastructure, or do some
resell/lease/share ? **

Ooops, sry, that was me (OP), not my mate, posting, forgot to change Ident
!!
Old November 26th 10, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MalcolmP

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:27:17 GMT, Jono wrote:

After serious thinking MalcolmP wrote :
This surprised me cos I had thought that they would all use the same
transmitter network / infrastructure

What made you think each network doesn't have its own infrastructure?

Ummm, not sure really, maybe thinking of the costs and time and planning
permissions and things, complicated business hardware infrastructure,
specially if there is a school nearby. And it isnt unknown in other
telecoms situations, LLU with many ops sharing the same copper
infrastructure for example.

So, anyway, the answer to my question is ??
That I should believe the operator predictions and go with the one saying
"good coverage" ?
Old November 26th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

On 26/11/2010 21:23, MalcolmP wrote:

So, anyway, the answer to my question is ??
That I should believe the operator predictions and go with the one saying
"good coverage" ?

Well, they seem to know (or ought to know) better than anyone else
whether the signal is any good.

It may, however, be advisable to ask around locally as well.

--
J B
Old November 26th 10, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MalcolmP

From: J B
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Mobile Broadband dongles/suppliers
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:54:30 +0000

On 26/11/2010 21:23, MalcolmP wrote:

So, anyway, the answer to my question is ??
That I should believe the operator predictions and go with the one saying
"good coverage" ?

Well, they seem to know (or ought to know) better than anyone else
whether the signal is any good.

It may, however, be advisable to ask around locally as well.

Yes it would be if I knew someone doing mobile broadband here!
I have a mate with a 3G phone, it is a bit iffy in some parts of my site,
but is not on "3", hence my wondering about infrastructures, u c
Old November 27th 10, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MalcolmP

Just checked and the standard ZTE MF112 on sale at the usual
suspects doesn't either, HSDPA/UMTS/GSM/GPRS/EDGE only.

Maybe that is why it is on offer at 4.99 !
Anyways, at 5 up front and 15 for data thats not too many pints of beer
to try it out, better than being locked in to a 2y contract (300?) for
what may turn out to be a lemmon
I think I may give it a try