Replacement for UKOnline

Old November 25th 10, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sideshow Bob

Default Replacement for UKOnline

I currently have a 10/month 1MB unlimited LLU account from UKOnline with
which I'm quite happy - I don't expect to get much more than 1MB on my
line anyway.

Unfortunately Sky are shutting-down UKOnline and trying to get people to
switch to Sky Broadband by offering 6 months free. Although the small
print says "Offer applied as three, 2 month credits applied until the
full 6 months credit has been fully assigned", which is suspiciously
vague. After that it's 15/month.

I was wondering what Sky is like, and whether I should switch to
something else. I want a cheap broadband-only account for about 50GB
download and 20GB upload per month (mostly eD2k, Bittorrent, and https
downloads from Easynews). I'm using FreeBSD, so it would be nice if they
don't get too hung-up on that when I need to report a line problem.
Old November 25th 10, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 25/11/10 23:15, Sideshow Bob wrote:
I currently have a 10/month 1MB unlimited LLU account from UKOnline with
which I'm quite happy - I don't expect to get much more than 1MB on my
line anyway.

Unfortunately Sky are shutting-down UKOnline and trying to get people to
switch to Sky Broadband by offering 6 months free. Although the small
print says "Offer applied as three, 2 month credits applied until the
full 6 months credit has been fully assigned", which is suspiciously
vague. After that it's 15/month.

I was wondering what Sky is like, and whether I should switch to
something else. I want a cheap broadband-only account for about 50GB
download and 20GB upload per month (mostly eD2k, Bittorrent, and https
downloads from Easynews). I'm using FreeBSD, so it would be nice if they
don't get too hung-up on that when I need to report a line problem.

Demon allows 50 Mb / 30days rolling of d/l and no u/l limits for for
about 13.00 + vat (might be a 2 year commitment on that).

Mind you, demon now isn't the demon that it was back in the mid 90's.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Old November 26th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 23:15:44 GMT, Sideshow Bob wrote:
I currently have a 10/month 1MB unlimited LLU account from UKOnline with
which I'm quite happy - I don't expect to get much more than 1MB on my
line anyway.

Unfortunately Sky are shutting-down UKOnline and trying to get people to
switch to Sky Broadband by offering 6 months free. Although the small
print says "Offer applied as three, 2 month credits applied until the
full 6 months credit has been fully assigned", which is suspiciously
vague. After that it's 15/month.

I thought you had to either subscribe to Sky TV, or use their phone service
to qualify for their BB package. Have they changed this?

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/25...2340524115.php
Old November 26th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

pete wrote:
: I thought you had to either subscribe to Sky TV, or use their phone service
: to qualify for their BB package. Have they changed this?

Yes.
Old November 26th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article ,
Sideshow Bob writes
I currently have a 10/month 1MB unlimited LLU account from UKOnline with
which I'm quite happy - I don't expect to get much more than 1MB on my
line anyway.

Unfortunately Sky are shutting-down UKOnline and trying to get people to
switch to Sky Broadband by offering 6 months free. Although the small
print says "Offer applied as three, 2 month credits applied until the
full 6 months credit has been fully assigned", which is suspiciously
vague. After that it's 15/month.

I was wondering what Sky is like, and whether I should switch to
something else. I want a cheap broadband-only account for about 50GB
download and 20GB upload per month (mostly eD2k, Bittorrent, and https
downloads from Easynews). I'm using FreeBSD, so it would be nice if they
don't get too hung-up on that when I need to report a line problem.

You might want to look at the Be Broadband value package, 13.79 for a
12mth contract, LLU, ADSL2 limited to 12Mbps down but gives the benefit
of full 1.3Mbps up if you can get it. ADSL2 may handle your line
differently and might give you better that your current 1Mbps.

Other than the download rate limit they don't throttle and haven't
imposed caps.

Telephone support was 0800 and was eastern european but effective
although I can't see an obvious support number for them on their site at
present. User forums are very active and helpful.

The inclusive THOMSON TG585 wireless modem is ok but some have found it
susceptible to spontaneous re-boots. I have experienced these
infrequently but it can be annoying. I have a view that it may be
content related.

They are owned by O2 but the packages are slightly different and phone
support on O2 was not considered as good. If you have an existing O2
moby then they may be better for you.
--
fred
Old November 26th 10, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alanp

I currently have a 10/month 1MB unlimited LLU account from UKOnline with
which I'm quite happy - I don't expect to get much more than 1MB on my
line anyway.

I was wondering what Sky is like, and whether I should switch to
something else. I want a cheap broadband-only account for about 50GB
download and 20GB upload per month (mostly eD2k, Bittorrent, and https
downloads from Easynews). I'm using FreeBSD, so it would be nice if they
don't get too hung-up on that when I need to report a line problem.

Try this site for price comparison :-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/isp_price_list.php

At present, is your phone service unbundled too, or are you with BT ?
Also, what is the OFCOM classication of your exchange ?
Check that here :-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php