Sky broadband question

Old November 28th 10, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Sky broadband question

A friend has just arranged a new phone line in a new property, with Sky.
I'ts bundled with a TV package, phone calls, and broadband. Openreach
installed the phone line a few weeks ago.

I've fitted a faceplate filter to isolate the extension wiring.

Sky have provided a router. It's made by DLink, but shows no model number.
I can't find it on the D-Link website. The serial number and MAC address are
shown. It's a rectangular black box, and although wireless does not have an
external antenna. It contains a 4-port switch (2 sockets coloured yellow,
one green, one blue). There is a similar picture at
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php - scroll down to "Sky Router" and
look at the option v2b

I can log into it using login name = admin and password = sky

It has custom firmware, described as SKY_1.11

There is no screen to show the PPP login name and password. Google suggests
these parameters are hard-coded somewhere. Can anybody suggest whether they
are generic, or relate to the specific customer's service?

Line statistics are shown. At power-up they are reasonable:

Downstream speed 4064k, attenuation 47.5dB, SNR margin 6dB
Upstream speed 448k, attenuation 29.5dB, SNR margin 17dB

After about 5 minutes, the downstream SNR margin drops - I've seen it go as
low as -2.2db. The PPP connection claims to be up, but it doesn't carry any
traffic. I can reboot or power off/on the router and performance returns to
normal - but only for about 5 minutes.

I could try another router, and this would at least indicate whether the SNR
margin drops off in the same way; but without knowing the Sky login
credentials I won't be able to establish a PPP connection.

Can anybody help me to find out the Sky username & password?

If I ring Sky for technical support, is it likely that I will get any useful
help?

TIA

--
Graham J

Old November 28th 10, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Graham J submitted this idea :
I could try another router, and this would at least indicate whether the SNR
margin drops off in the same way; but without knowing the Sky login
credentials I won't be able to establish a PPP connection.

Can anybody help me to find out the Sky username & password?

If I ring Sky for technical support, is it likely that I will get any useful
help?

They won't tell you the username and password. In order to try another
router, you'll have to let them send you another.

On the original Sky supplied Netgear DG834T routers, there was a method
of gleaning the ADSL credentials, however, I've not seen any reports of
success with later models.

Old November 28th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Graham J
[email protected]? writes

Sky have provided a router. It's made by DLink, but shows no model number.

I looked at one of those for a friend yesterday: she wanted to use her
own router (a DG834GT) and asked if I could configure it for her.

I can log into it using login name = admin and password = sky

ditto

There is no screen to show the PPP login name and password.

ditto

Google suggests
these parameters are hard-coded somewhere. Can anybody suggest whether they
are generic, or relate to the specific customer's service?

Customer-specific I think, programmed in my $ky before despatch.

I could try another router, and this would at least indicate whether the SNR
margin drops off in the same way; but without knowing the Sky login
credentials I won't be able to establish a PPP connection.

Like you, I googled. It seems that $ky doesn't want users to use their
own equipment and that they won't give you the login credentials.

Googling found instructions for ways of getting the login and password
out of other brands of routers branded by $ky, but not that D-Link one.

I did find a link that claimed to be able to generate a login and
password from the MAC address of the router and some other parameter,
but it was 404.

If I ring Sky for technical support, is it likely that I will get any useful
help?

I got my friend to ring $ky to ask for the credentials (with a warning
that they would probably refuse to give her the details once they found
out she wanted to use her own router), but she gave up after an hour
waiting for the Indian call centre to pick up the phone.

Told her to cancel her contract and go with an ISP with more clue.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old November 28th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:19:21 -0000, Graham J wrote:
[...]

Since this is a new install, is it possible the router and the exchange
are going through Sky's DLM procedure?
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tutorials/5848.html
If so, if you leave it for a week it'll sort itself out - though it's
a reet PITA in the meantime.

I could try another router, and this would at least indicate whether the SNR
margin drops off in the same way; but without knowing the Sky login
credentials I won't be able to establish a PPP connection.

Can anybody help me to find out the Sky username & password?

If I ring Sky for technical support, is it likely that I will get any useful
help?

No, not unless you accidentally get put through to the unusually
helpful _proper_ tech suport guys. The people that Sky laughingly
calls "support" are just generic read-from-a-script people with
poor language skills.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/27...9295230925.php
Old November 28th 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

My experience with other ISPs is that they all have a DLM procedure. They
all start with an optimistic speed setting, and the speed sometimes reduces
over the 10-day DLM period. The router starts with the SNR margin at 6dB.
Over time, if the line is noisy, the SNR margin increases and the line speed
decreases. Very occassionally the SNR margin reduces, and the connection
ceases to carry data. Rebooting the router establishes a reliable
connection at a slower speed.

My testing with this Sky instllation over a 2 hour period showed the
downstream speed varying from 3.8 to 4Mbits sec, the downstream attenuation
remaining constant at 47.5dB, and the downstream SNR always starting at
about 6dB and dropping after less than 5 minutes to a zero or negative
value. This is quite unlike any DLM activity I've seen with other ISPs.

I will go back to the site (probably next Tuesday, when it will have been
connected for 4 days) to review performance.

--
Graham J