SparkLAN WPEA-111 wireless problem

Old November 29th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default SparkLAN WPEA-111 wireless problem

I have a Dell Vostro 1320 fitted with a SparkLAN dual band WPEA-111-N
wireless module running Windows XP Professional with all updates to date. I
am using the latest driver downloaded from the SparkLAN website. The
wireless chipset is an Atheros 9280. This connects quite happily to my
D-Link DIR-825 or my Netgear WNHDE111. The problem occurs when I want to
change from one wire router to another. What happens is that the new
connection fails to authenticate. Disabling the connection and re-enabling
it does not solve the problem. The only way I can effect the change is by
rebooting the machine. I have tried combinations of dynamic, or fixed, IP
allocation and this makes no difference so that does not seem to be the
cause, though the error messages suggest the authentication is connected
with the IP allocation. In everyday operation this does not present a
problem but it does mean if I move the Vostro from one location in the house
to another that is covered by the other router I have to reboot the machine.
Not a major problem but it irritates me! Google searches have not turned up
any clues. Any constructive suggestions would be welcome. A change of
operating system is not an option. TIA

Peter Crosland

Old November 29th 10, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 29/11/2010 in message
Peter Crosland wrote:

The problem occurs when I want to change from one wire router to another.
What happens is that the new connection fails to authenticate. Disabling
the connection and re-enabling it does not solve the problem. The only way
I can effect the change is by rebooting the machine.

I think that's working as designed. When I used to switch routers to try
and improve my Internet connection I always had to re-boot the PC to get
it recognised by the router.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old November 29th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:15:36 -0000
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

The problem
occurs when I want to change from one wire router to another. What
happens is that the new connection fails to authenticate. Disabling
the connection and re-enabling it does not solve the problem. The
only way I can effect the change is by rebooting the machine.

When you're using DHCP, running "ipconfig /release" terminates the
current lease and "ipconfig /renew" negotiates a new one. I'm not sure
that's the root of your problem though, brain not fully engaged ATM.

Old November 29th 10, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 29/11/2010 in message
Peter Crosland wrote:

The problem occurs when I want to change from one wire router to another.
What happens is that the new connection fails to authenticate. Disabling
the connection and re-enabling it does not solve the problem. The only way
I can effect the change is by rebooting the machine.

I think that's working as designed. When I used to switch routers to try
and improve my Internet connection I always had to re-boot the PC to get
it recognised by the router.

You could be right but it seems a major failing to me. Also I have just
tried a Netgear WNDA3100 dongle and that changes quite happily without the
need to reboot. Thanks for the interest anyway.

Peter Crosland

Old November 29th 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

o.uk...
Peter Crosland wrote:

The problem occurs when I want to change from one wire router to another.
What happens is that the new connection fails to authenticate. Disabling
the connection and re-enabling it does not solve the problem. The only
way I can effect the change is by rebooting the machine.

I think that's working as designed. When I used to switch routers to try
and improve my Internet connection I always had to re-boot the PC to get
it recognised by the router.

You could be right but it seems a major failing to me. Also I have just
tried a Netgear WNDA3100 dongle and that changes quite happily without the
need to reboot. Thanks for the interest anyway.

I tried changed from the allowing SparkLAN to manage the wireless networks
to letting Windows control them. That works perfectly. Ergo the SparkLAN
network control software is defective.

Peter Crosland