Alternative to Wireshark

Old November 30th 10, 10:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Alternative to Wireshark

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark that works
with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Peter Crosland

Old November 30th 10, 11:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:13:22 -0000
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark
that works with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Yes there is.

Old December 1st 10, 08:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

"Peter wrote:

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark
that works with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Yes there is.

Helpful indeed :-)

But what's the problem with wireshark (apart from the misnomer)? Seems
to work for me on those occasions when I've needed it.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old December 1st 10, 08:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Peter wrote:

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark
that works with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Yes there is.

Helpful indeed :-)

But what's the problem with wireshark (apart from the misnomer)? Seems to
work for me on those occasions when I've needed it.

I had hoped it would be clear. Wireshark works brilliantly with wired
network adaptors but it does not work with wireless ones. If there is an
alternative that works with wireless network adaptor and runs under Windows
XP I would be grateful if someone could tell me what is and where I can
obtain it.

Peter Crosland

Old December 1st 10, 09:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

"Peter wrote:

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark
that works with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Yes there is.

Helpful indeed :-)

But what's the problem with wireshark (apart from the misnomer)? Seems to
work for me on those occasions when I've needed it.

I had hoped it would be clear. Wireshark works brilliantly with wired
network adaptors but it does not work with wireless ones. If there is an
alternative that works with wireless network adaptor and runs under Windows
XP I would be grateful if someone could tell me what is and where I can
obtain it.

Aaah - windows. That could be the problem :-) I don't recall an issue
running it under linux -- where it works and iirc shows much wireless
protocol stuff with the actual traffic. Which doesn't help you though.

A quick look though turns up
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm
where Q16 and 22 are relevant. It may help, or not.

Good luck.

Old December 1st 10, 10:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Peter Crosland wrote:
I had hoped it would be clear. Wireshark works brilliantly with wired
network adaptors but it does not work with wireless ones.

It seems to work well for me. What doesn't work for you?
Chris
Old December 1st 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Peter wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Mike. Unfortunately the AirCap solution costs several
hundred US$. The ZXSniffer seems to have a virus associated with it and
PCTools blocks access to the sites for downloading. The bottom line seems to
be that the adapters I have don't support promiscuous mode and in any case
Windows Kernel functions in an incompatible way. Fortunately the problem I
had has been resolved by letting Windows control the wireless networks
rather than the network adaptor manufacturer's custom software.

Peter Crosland

Old December 1st 10, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

On 01/12/2010 10:52:53, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Thanks for that Mike. Unfortunately the AirCap solution costs several
hundred US$. The ZXSniffer seems to have a virus associated with it and
PCTools blocks access to the sites for downloading. The bottom line seems
to be that the adapters I have don't support promiscuous mode and in any
case Windows Kernel functions in an incompatible way. Fortunately the
problem I had has been resolved by letting Windows control the wireless
networks rather than the network adaptor manufacturer's custom software.

Is this of interest?

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networksniffer/

--
Regards
Barry
Old December 1st 10, 01:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"Peter wrote:

Please can someone tell me if there is an equivalent to Wireshark
that works with wireless network adaptors? TIA

Yes there is.

Helpful indeed :-)

I thought so. :-) I know nothing about the subject, but a couple of
quick searches on "wifi sniffer" and "802 packet-analyser" came up with
quite a few relevant results. I didn't think there was any point
going into detail as the OP hadn't thought it relevant to tell us which
OS he's using ...

Old December 1st 10, 05:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Barry" wrote in message
On 01/12/2010 10:52:53, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Thanks for that Mike. Unfortunately the AirCap solution costs several
hundred US$. The ZXSniffer seems to have a virus associated with it and
PCTools blocks access to the sites for downloading. The bottom line seems
to be that the adapters I have don't support promiscuous mode and in any
case Windows Kernel functions in an incompatible way. Fortunately the
problem I had has been resolved by letting Windows control the wireless
networks rather than the network adaptor manufacturer's custom software.

Is this of interest?

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networksniffer/

Thanks for that. Fine if one can charge a customer but not for home use.
Nevertheless I have made a note of it.

Peter Crosland