Is Sky "really" bad?

Old November 30th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim....

Default Is Sky "really" bad?

I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to avoid, but is
it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I subscribe
to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic TV package and
Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for my phone line (no calls
package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40 pounds to install instead of the 120
that other phone providers charge.

This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

tim

Old November 30th 10, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:57:27 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to avoid, but is
it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I subscribe
to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic TV package and
Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for my phone line (no calls
package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40 pounds to install instead of the 120
that other phone providers charge.

This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

tim

I've has Sky as my BB provider since around 2007 (it may be 2008) and
i can count the number of problems I've had on one hand (and still
have a couple of fingers left)
The service appears to be solid and the speed (around 15 meg) is
stable.
Others will doubtless let you know of their experiences
--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
Old November 30th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 30/11/2010 20:57, tim.... wrote:
I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to avoid, but is
it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I subscribe
to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic TV package and
Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for my phone line (no calls
package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40 pounds to install instead of the 120
that other phone providers charge.

This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

tim

You can buy a half-litre can of Frosty Jack 7.5% "cider" at Bargain
Booze for 95p, and one or two cans will probably achieve the desired
result.
So why doesn't everyone flock to buy it?

Or put another way:
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider
price only are this man's lawful prey".
John Ruskin.

I rest my case...

George

Old December 1st 10, 06:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

tim.... explained on 30/11/2010 :
I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to avoid, but is
it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I subscribe
to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic TV package and
Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for my phone line (no calls
package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40 pounds to install instead of the 120
that other phone providers charge.

This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

tim

Other than not being able to use a router of my choice, I have little
to complain about.

DownStream Connection Speed 17022 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1022 kbps

No rate limiting, no restrictions, reliable.

I have on a couple of occasions had to ask them to slow the line down
to prevent regular resynchs.

Old December 1st 10, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, wot he said!

I've been using Sky BB for many years and can also report a mainly
reliable service. The few problems I've experienced (apart from Skys
initial bungling of DLM which made the service virtually unusable
for the two weeks after they started it) have generally been attributed
to BTs wires, not to Sky.

Their call centre is just as crap as everyone else's but luckily the
number of times I've had to deal with it has been mercifully low.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/30...2220025002.php
Old December 1st 10, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aa

tim.... wrote:
I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to avoid,
but is it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I
subscribe to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic
TV package and Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for
my phone line (no calls package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40
pounds to install instead of the 120 that other phone providers
charge.
This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

tim

Up until July this year I had a VirginMedia 10MB connection which was very
reliable but which cost 20pm. Have since been with Sky ADSL2+ and their
Talk Unlimited (Line Rental still with BT) calls package and am getting
14983 Downstream Connection speed, 961 Upstream Connection speed and
typically 11000 (down) kbps and 800 kbps (up) via
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ . Router is D-Link DSL-2640S. Rock
steady connection and broadband cost of just a tenner a month!

Just to add, Openreach are currently in my street, laying new fibre
circuits. Good to know that much higher BT Infinity and VirginMedia speeds
are available to me at a cost, but my needs are more than well met by Sky,
certainly for the forseeable future. Sky Support can be a bit of a curate's
egg, but certainly no worse than VirginMedia's and I've hardly needed to
call them since the install.
--
aa

Old December 1st 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"tim...." wrote in message
I've seen a few posts suggesting that Sky is the BB service to
avoid, but is it really that bad?

I'm moving to a new apartment that is wired for satellite and if I
subscribe to Sky - phone, calls and BB I can get the lot, plus basic
TV package and Sky+ for only 9 pounds more than I currently pay for
my phone line (no calls package) and BB. Plus it only costs 40
pounds to install instead of the 120 that other phone providers
charge.

This looks like an offer that I can't refuse...

Unless others know better!

Help me decide, please

They seem to get quite good ratings:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/customer-satisfaction/

IME it's best to use surveys like the above instead of asking on
usenet or internet forums - as you'll only get a handful of opinions
rather than a survey like the above of several thousand.

--
Andy

Old December 1st 10, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"George Weston" wrote in message
On 30/11/2010 20:57, tim.... wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, the "You get what you pay for" argument, which allows
supermarkets to sell exactly the same eggs as both "economy" and
"standard", with the standard ones about 30% more expensive. Which
allows branded clothing manufacturers to sell clothing made in the
same third world sweatshops with the same materials as supermarket
brands but at 4 times price.

Not that more expensive products aren't sometimes better, of course
they often are, but the assumption that they must be better cos
they're more expensive is something only mugs believe (some even
refuse to buy things which are "too cheap"!)

In general it seems that the price/quality ratio increases with price,
often a product which is 10% better is 50% more expensive.

--
Andy

Old December 1st 10, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

?"Peter" wrote in message
I've has Sky as my BB provider since around 2007 (it may be 2008) and
i can count the number of problems I've had on one hand (and still
have a couple of fingers left)
The service appears to be solid and the speed (around 15 meg) is
stable.

Exact same experience here (except I get 2Mb/s for living in the sticks)