Computer Can't Find My Wireless Point

Old December 1st 10, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LJ

Default Computer Can't Find My Wireless Point

I've got two laptops of the same model both running XP. One came with
"Broadcom" wireless preinstalled and the other "Atheross". I also let
Windows manage my connections.

With the "Atheross" Windows finds my wireless router and two of my
neighbours with no difficulty.

If I try the laptop with the "Broadcom" it only finds the two of my
neighbours NEVER mine.

This doesn't cause any real concern as I also have a wireless usb stick that
I can plug in to the "Broadcom" laptop and my wireless point is found with
no problem and shows as expected the signal strength to be high.

I could keep the USB stick connected all the time but like most people I
often move the laptop and I can see either the stick or usb socket being
damaged at some point if I take this option..

Can anyone offer me any suggestions why one of my laptops can't find my
router, but can find the neighbours ?
Thanks.

DS

Old December 1st 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Java Jive
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Suggestion 1: Although I doubt it's still the case, early wireless
routers sold in this country were factory configured for the US
market, which uses a different band (IIRC aka channel) in the e-m
spectrum. To use them in the UK, you had to alter the band to the
European one. Perhaps the wireless connection that isn't working is
expecting signals in a non-European band.

If the OPs AP isn't on any of channels 1 through 11 then this is a
possibility.

I remember seeing a thread in alt.internet.wireless about this, with
manufacturers describing an interface as 'world band' or similar if it was
restricted to 1-11. I can't find the discussion now, unfortunately.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:07:58 up 6 days, 2:28, 6 users, load average: 0.16, 0.31, 0.95

Old December 1st 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article , alexd wrote:

If the OPs AP isn't on any of channels 1 through 11 then this is a
possibility.

I remember seeing a thread in alt.internet.wireless about this, with
manufacturers describing an interface as 'world band' or similar if it was
restricted to 1-11. I can't find the discussion now, unfortunately.

I normally Don't Do Windows but I had a similar problem with a Broadcom
chipset in daughter's laptop. The installer didn't cater for non-US
locales and always restricted it to 11 channels. You can edit the
registry though - see
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom/Soft...0channels.html

Nick
--