Anyone using Google Public DNS?

Old December 1st 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

Default Anyone using Google Public DNS?

Better then ISP DNS?
Old December 1st 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

On 01/12/2010 19:45, Count de Monet wrote:
Better then ISP DNS?

I tried it. Couldn't see any difference. So, on the principle that it's
best not to tell Google anything, I went back to my ISP.

Another Dave

Old December 1st 10, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Another Dave wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:45, Count de Monet wrote:
Better then ISP DNS?

I tried it. Couldn't see any difference. So, on the principle that it's
best not to tell Google anything, I went back to my ISP.

Another Dave

I run my own,. on the principle I have some chance of fixing it if it
goes wrong.

Old December 1st 10, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

On 01/12/2010 19:49, Another Dave wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:45, Count de Monet wrote:
Better then ISP DNS?

So, on the principle that it's
best not to tell Google anything, I went back to my ISP.

Another Dave

This concerns me, is there any evidence that Google collect info from
folk using their DNS servers?
Old December 1st 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

On 01/12/2010 20:01, Count de Monet wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:49, Another Dave wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:45, Count de Monet wrote:
Better then ISP DNS?

So, on the principle that it's
best not to tell Google anything, I went back to my ISP.

Another Dave

This concerns me, is there any evidence that Google collect info from
folk using their DNS servers?

Maybe I should have put a smiley in ;-)

Another Dave

Old December 1st 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Count de Monet wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:49, Another Dave wrote:
On 01/12/2010 19:45, Count de Monet wrote:
Better then ISP DNS?

So, on the principle that it's
best not to tell Google anything, I went back to my ISP.

Another Dave

This concerns me, is there any evidence that Google collect info from
folk using their DNS servers?

trivial to do... see what sites are rec0eving most lookup info.
Old December 1st 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Count de
Monet chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Better then ISP DNS?

I'm using it by default because a) it's easy to remember and b) it'll work
from almost anywhere. Given how large and well-run [I assume] Google's
network is, the chances are that if 8.8.8.8 is unreachable, then so is the
rest of the internet.

WRT the privacy concerns...I'm lazy, and a little leaking of data to Google
on what domains I'm interested in is a worthwhile tradeoff, IMO.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:59:40 up 6 days, 2:19, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 1.27, 1.60
Old December 1st 10, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Count de
Monet chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This concerns me, is there any evidence that Google collect info from
folk using their DNS servers?

If they do, at least it's opt-in. Their Google Analytics stuff isn't, but
it's more the browser-maker's fault than anybody else's. They're by no means
the only ones, of course:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ech_LEADSecond

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/11/30/fa...-tracking-you/

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:54:23 up 6 days, 3:14, 6 users, load average: 0.06, 0.09, 0.09

Old December 2nd 10, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:45:56 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Count de Monet disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Better then ISP DNS?

use it all the time and its fast. Does not hijack like OpenDNS.
--

Cheers,

DrT