Government reveals superfast broadband plans

Old December 6th 10, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

Default Government reveals superfast broadband plans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424
Old December 6th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alanp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

Sounds to me as though they're serious about:-

Qoute :
"The government has earmarked £830m for the scheme, with some of this
money coming from funds given to the BBC to pay for the switch to
digital TV."

Both causing belt-tightening @ the Beeb, and using some money which has
already been budgeted for.

Old December 6th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Oakley

Count de Monet wrote on Mon, 6 Dec 2010:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

I'm sure it was coincidence, but a big pink pig flew past my window
while I was reading that!

--
Barry Oakley
The 'Reply-To' address will be valid for a short time.
Old December 6th 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Other Mike

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:17:34 +0000, Count de Monet
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

Totally overshadowed by this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpNravrwZc

Old December 6th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/12/10 10:42, Barry Oakley wrote:
Count de Monet wrote on Mon, 6 Dec 2010:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

I'm sure it was coincidence, but a big pink pig flew past my window
while I was reading that!

Nah, it's just a coincidence. I had the very same here. Probably flying
south for the winter...

Old December 6th 10, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Count de
Monet chose the tried and tested strategy of:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

So who's going to own the infrastructure that the license fee has been
diverted to? Is this basically just an £800M tax break for BT? Could be
worse - at least it hasn't gone to Vodafone!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:34:44 up 1 day, 48 min, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.35

Old December 6th 10, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
Is this basically just an £800M tax break for BT?

Yes.
Old December 7th 10, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

alexd wrote:
Is this basically just an £800M tax break for BT?

Yes.

It makes me sick. I think the best way forward is to follow Australia's
lead by properly breaking up BT and nationalizing the infrastructure.
Old December 7th 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

On 06/12/2010 08:17, Count de Monet wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

800 Million quid?

I'd like to see funding into the development of a government sponsored
web enabled dumbed down wireless internet appliance OS, sort of like the
environment presented on the iPhone/iPad but without the apps, or other
downloadable nasties.

Distributed for free or minimal cost, it would allow access to the
internet for a far wider communitity and remove the barriers faced when
trying to deal with being your own system administrator, such is the
uselessness and fragility of current desktop operating systems and
applications. 'Walled garden' access (like Apple) wouldn't be a bad
thing either.

In 1982 France Telecom issued the MiniTel device, and the takeup was
incredibly successful. In recent times we've all heard of OLPC projects
for Africa - and some in other more affluent parts of the world looked
and longed for similar products at the same price point (hence netbooks).

I think it's high time HM Goverment did a similar thing for Britain, and
put this slightly ahead of the rush to give sheep 1Gb/s and their own
individual ipV6 addresses.

And if it comes out looking like an Apple iPad, then screw 'em. This
would be HM Gov after all...

--
Adrian C
Old December 7th 10, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Chris Hills" wrote in message
alexd wrote:
Is this basically just an £800M tax break for BT?

Yes.

It makes me sick. I think the best way forward is to follow Australia's
lead by properly breaking up BT and nationalizing the infrastructure.

You mean go back to the 'good old days' of Buzby and the like?

If so you can blame the 'rusted, bent lady' for what's happened since