O2 Broadband

Old December 8th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sabby

Default O2 Broadband

Hello,

I am considering switching to O2 Broadband after the coming demise of
UKONLINE. Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking
at the O2 website. It says that ten email addresses are allowed on the
account...

Does anyone know how the extra email addresses are setup?
Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

Thanks in advance
Old December 8th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Sabby" wrote in message
Hello,

I am considering switching to O2 Broadband after the coming demise of
UKONLINE. Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking
at the O2 website. It says that ten email addresses are allowed on the
account...

Does anyone know how the extra email addresses are setup?
Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

I'm with the Sister company Be they are fantastic.
Regards
David

Old December 8th 10, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 08/12/2010 17:58, David wrote:

"Sabby" wrote in message

Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

I'm with the Sister company Be they are fantastic.

Until O2 do exactly the same and decide to rebrand Be as their own ...

--
Adrian C

Old December 8th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

Sabby wrote:

I am considering switching to O2 Broadband after the coming demise of
UKONLINE. Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking
at the O2 website. It says that ten email addresses are allowed on the
account...

Does anyone know how the extra email addresses are setup?
Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

O2 is generally very good although they recently introduced traffic
management and I think more aggressive (un)fair use policies make their LLU
offering less attractive than it was. Their Access offering where they
don't have LLU has been widely criticised for poor performance.

Their email setup is utter crap (yes you get pop3). You don't have an email
address you register with O2 and get an O2 account which includes an email
address, online calendar, contacts thing, and no doubt other drivel I
don't have the slightest interest it. Registration requires you to provide
personal information and a mobile phone number which will be verified by
requiring you to enter information from a text they send it.

If you want 10 email addresses you have to set up 9 new O2 accounts. I
don't know if you can use the same mobile phone number for them, there is a
button marked "I don't have a mobile" which immediately takes you to their
phone shop.

It all looked so onerous I never bothered trying to set up a second email
address.

That said I wouldn't advise anyone to rely on email services from their
ISP.
Old December 8th 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

David wrote:
:
: I'm with the Sister company Be they are fantastic.

I am also with Be - I would say they are "very good
but rather expensive".

Also their lack of things like email and netnews
may deter some people!
Old December 8th 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"David" wrote in message ...

"Sabby" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I am considering switching to O2 Broadband after the coming demise of
UKONLINE. Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking
at the O2 website. It says that ten email addresses are allowed on the
account...

Does anyone know how the extra email addresses are setup?
Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

I'm with the Sister company Be they are fantastic.
Regards
David

I'll second that, I am close to the exchange so ADSL2+ is very worthwhile
I can also tweak noise margin and turn on/off interleave from the web portal.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 8th 10, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"nospam" wrote in message

[...]

With Sister Be I had no problem setting up the Broadband and recently
handing over the BT phone line to them too.
No Mobile Phone involvement.
Do not know about email addresses as I learnt, as you recommended, a long
time ago to have email address separate and I use Gmail.
My Be is LLU and stays steady speeds also Unlimited and they not mess me
about like previous ISP and BT
Regards
David

Old December 8th 10, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
David wrote:
:
: I'm with the Sister company Be they are fantastic.

I am also with Be - I would say they are "very good
but rather expensive".

Well I have Be Unlimited up to 24Mb Broadband
and Anytime phone inc. rental.
Latest bill was 31.38 for the month.

I'm not thinking that too expensive.

By the way their members forum is first rate for sharing problems or
question about almost anything. Their staff are very active on the forum too
and get things sorted straight away if you are in trouble with their
service.
Regards
David

Old December 8th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Sabby" wrote in message
Hello,
I am considering switching to O2 Broadband after the coming demise of
UKONLINE. Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking
at the O2 website. It says that ten email addresses are allowed on the
account...

Does anyone know how the extra email addresses are setup?
Do they use pop3 for incoming email, or is it a webmail service?
Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband , is it reliable?

Why bother with O2 mail, use Google or Yahoo mail on pop3

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of 1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

Old December 8th 10, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"nospam" wrote in message ...
Sabby wrote:

[...]

Certainly not a *broadband* ISP
My two main email addresses are each tied to a Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange dial-up
account.
Nothing is guaranteed to last forever of course, but I've had them for over ten years now.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%