The crazy, mixed up economics of being an ISP

Old December 9th 10, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default The crazy, mixed up economics of being an ISP

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-to-pay-up-as-
europeean-operators-inundated-by-data.html

# France Telecom Chief Executive Officer Stephane Richard said last month.
# “It's necessary to put in place a system of payments by service providers
# as a function of their use.”

# The explosion of data “is good news,” France Telecom's Richard said today.
# It is, however, “a challenge for carriers like us,” he said, adding that
# it “raises the question of the business model of mobile data.”

Who the **** do these people think they are? In any normal market, you would
be encouraging your customers to consume more of your product, and anything
which assists in that would be welcomed with open arms. But somehow, even
though he's admitting that his business model is questionable, he thinks the
answer to that is not to change the business model, but to get someone else
to pay for it! I can only hope Google and Apple have more money to throw at
lobbyists in Brussels than these parasites.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

Old December 9th 10, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
[...]

The problem is, they attract customers on fixed price deals, who shag
the network.

Its really down to customers paying back the marketing bollox by
exploiting the fine print.
I gave up on all tat rap years ago. I pay more and don't get twiddled
about on bandwidth caps, throttling, traffic shaping, my details being
sold to marketing companies to send me junkmail..etc etc

All he is really saying is that people want lots of it but don't want to
pay for it.

Really?

Surprise me.