Other Devices

Old December 9th 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Park

Default Other Devices

I am setting up a home network for two PC's and a laptop. I have a
Netgear DG834GT Router. When I look at attached devices it sometimes
shows all three computer names plus an unknown device.
At other times with all three computers on it only shows the main PC.
Why is this?
John.
Old December 9th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John Park wrote:
I am setting up a home network for two PC's and a laptop. I have a
Netgear DG834GT Router. When I look at attached devices it sometimes
shows all three computer names plus an unknown device.
At other times with all three computers on it only shows the main PC.
Why is this?
John.

Possibly a networked print server or something, or someone using your WiFi?

Other possibles are a malware or valid it of software on one comouter
that has set up a secondary virtual ethernet port.

E.g. if I fire up Virtual box on the linux to run Winders on,that has
its own Ethernet virtual card, and will show up as an extra entry in the
DHCP tables.

So ere I have

This linux machine
Its window virtual box
The wifes mac
An old Intel print server for the plotter.

My server does NOT show up as its IP address is fixed.

However sometimes fixed IP address stuff does show up.
Old December 9th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

On Dec 9, 12:34*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
John Park wrote:
[...]

I have same model, and sometimes it sees just the one wireless
connection/displays SSID
and works OK.
Occasionally it sees the correct SSID, plus a 2nd one with "2" after
correct SSID.
In these circumstances it denies me wireless access to both.

I have no print servers.
Old December 10th 10, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Park

On 09/12/2010 21:53, Gel wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:34 pm, The Natural
wrote:
John Park wrote:
[...]

My one was showing 1,2,3 and 4. With 3 as the unknown device. I did have
a LAN cable connected from my PC. Another thought was the Microsoft
Virtual WiFi mini port adapter that seems to have no usable function.