Internet congestion?

Old December 10th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Internet congestion?

I run a monitoring system that pings the external IP addresses of a few
dozen clients, once per minute. The purpose is to warn me when any of those
clients loses their internet connection.

Over the last two days pings fail for many minutes at a time; yet when I
check I can connect to the suspect clients' routers with no difficulty, and
the routers report uptimes extending back over several days. So it would
seem that ICMP echo packets are being dropped on a grand scale.

This appears to relate primarily to clients who have their ADSL service from
either BT or Sky.

Anybody else seen this?

--
Graham J

Old December 10th 10, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message ...
I run a monitoring system that pings the external IP addresses of a few dozen clients, once per minute. The purpose is to warn me
when any of those clients loses their internet connection.

Over the last two days pings fail for many minutes at a time; yet when I check I can connect to the suspect clients' routers with
no difficulty, and the routers report uptimes extending back over several days. So it would seem that ICMP echo packets are being
dropped on a grand scale.

This appears to relate primarily to clients who have their ADSL service from either BT or Sky.

Anybody else seen this?

I have f8lure pinging my own router, and also a VM router in Liverpool
It is also pinging a few similar VM IPs as control specimens.
Looking back at the last week or so graphs, if anything, things are calmer than usual.
f8lure does have its own issues at its host end, and the sysop endlessly complains
about them.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 10th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

In the past I used F8Lure but they went off the radar a year or so back, so
I wrote a script to run on an old PC. Nice to learn that they are back in
action ...

--
Graham J

Old December 10th 10, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Graham J
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Over the last two days pings fail for many minutes at a time; yet when I
check I can connect to the suspect clients' routers with no difficulty,
and
the routers report uptimes extending back over several days. So it would
seem that ICMP echo packets are being dropped on a grand scale.

This appears to relate primarily to clients who have their ADSL service
from either BT or Sky.

Anybody else seen this?

I do something similar with Smokeping, at work and at home. I haven't seen
the pattern you're describing, but I'm not monitoring any BT ADSL [but a few
BTnet circuits] or Sky ADSL [but a few Easynet circuits]. Is it just Sky and
BT where you're seeing the problem?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:41:54 up 1 day, 14:37, 8 users, load average: 0.14, 0.11, 0.12

Old December 10th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Graham." wrote in message ...

[...]

Wasn't it l8nc that dissapeared and f8lure filled the gap?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 10th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

You may be right - my memory is flaky. But the screens look the same ...

--
Graham J

Old December 10th 10, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"alexd" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed yes, just BT domestic services and Sky. BT Business clients seem to
be OK.

--
Graham J

Old December 11th 10, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:57:44 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message ...
Wasn't it l8nc that dissapeared and f8lure filled the gap?

That's my recollection...
--
Free personal divertable Phone number: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/personalnos.htm
Old December 11th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Graham J
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Over the last two days pings fail for many minutes at a time; yet when I
check I can connect to the suspect clients' routers with no difficulty,
and
the routers report uptimes extending back over several days. So it would
seem that ICMP echo packets are being dropped on a grand scale.

Are you graphing the response time? Is it possible that responses that take
longer than a certain time are reported as lost? Completely dropping ICMP
echo seems extreme to me, but then I was surprised when one ISP claimed to
be de-prioritising ICMP during peak times, so anything's possible.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:06:57 up 2 days, 12:02, 8 users, load average: 0.01, 0.65, 0.77

Old December 11th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

alexd wrote:
[...] I was surprised when one ISP claimed to be de-prioritising ICMP
during peak times, so anything's possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if a significant percentage of ISP traffic
was ICMP Ping from people "just checking" that servers are reachable
from home.

Of course, ping doesn't really show that a service is available; one
needs a service monitor for that. And besides, if a remote box becomes
unreachable for a few minutes, what is a (domestic) ISP realistically
going to do about it that they wouldn't be doing based on their own
monitoring, anyway?

Chris