Conexant USB ADSL modem and BT

Old December 10th 10, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malcmail

Default Conexant USB ADSL modem and BT

My BT broadband works as well as it is supposed to at the moment with
the homehub. I've recently picked up a modem that is basically a
Conexant USB ADSL modem. But try as I might I cannot get my windows
machine to actually connect to the broadband system. If anyone could
lead me through it I'd be most grateful. Ta muchly

--
malcmail
Old December 10th 10, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

malcmail wrote:

My BT broadband works as well as it is supposed to at the moment with
the homehub. I've recently picked up a modem that is basically a
Conexant USB ADSL modem. But try as I might I cannot get my windows
machine to actually connect to the broadband system. If anyone could
lead me through it I'd be most grateful. Ta muchly

Does Device manager recognise the modem (and doesn't have yellow
question/exclamation marks for it)

Have you created a connection in Dial-Up networking for it? Using your
ADSL username/password
Old December 10th 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

My BT broadband works as well as it is supposed to at the moment with
the homehub. I've recently picked up a modem that is basically a
Conexant USB ADSL modem. But try as I might I cannot get my windows
machine to actually connect to the broadband system. If anyone could
lead me through it I'd be most grateful. Ta muchly

Why do you want to replace your Homehub router with a USB modem?
I take it you are trying to replace it and not use them together on the same line
because that won't work.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 10th 10, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

malcmail wrote:

My BT broadband works as well as it is supposed to at the moment with
the homehub. I've recently picked up a modem that is basically a
Conexant USB ADSL modem. But try as I might I cannot get my windows
machine to actually connect to the broadband system. If anyone could
lead me through it I'd be most grateful. Ta muchly

You need to install the USB drivers as unlike an ethernet modem the USB one
won't just plug and play. (I take it that it is actually a ADSL router
rather than a pure modem, I would not advise using an ADSL modem since it
doesn't protect you from incoming attacks in the way a NAT router does.)

You will also need to configure it with your settings if you haven't done
so already, browse to http://10.0.0.2 and enter the same settings as your
previous router used. The router has built in diagnostics you can run too
if you are not getting a connection.
Old December 11th 10, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malcmail

Thanks to all for the replies. Won't be able to test this until later
tonight at the earliest but will give it a go.

One of the problems is the username - the book that came with the hub
said one thing but the HHub itself says something else.

I've set it up as a nw connection with the USB driver but it wont let me
set up the connect as PPPoA, unless I call it a dial up modem - then it
wants to use an ISDN line. Hopefully you can see my confusion.

The idea is only to get it to connect to make sure it works. Its a pure
ADSL USB modem. It forms part of a big project at the moment, but if I
can't get it to connect at all its all over before it starts.

Thanks again.

--
malcmail
Old December 11th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"malcmail" wrote in message

Thanks to all for the replies. Won't be able to test this until later
tonight at the earliest but will give it a go.

One of the problems is the username - the book that came with the hub
said one thing but the HHub itself says something else.

I've set it up as a nw connection with the USB driver but it wont let me
set up the connect as PPPoA, unless I call it a dial up modem - then it
wants to use an ISDN line. Hopefully you can see my confusion.

The idea is only to get it to connect to make sure it works. Its a pure
ADSL USB modem. It forms part of a big project at the moment, but if I
can't get it to connect at all its all over before it starts.

USB ADSL modems are a pain in every way. You can buy much more reliable ones
that use the network pot.

Peter Crosland

Old December 11th 10, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"malcmail" wrote in message ...

Thanks to all for the replies. Won't be able to test this until later
tonight at the earliest but will give it a go.

One of the problems is the username - the book that came with the hub
said one thing but the HHub itself says something else.

I've set it up as a nw connection with the USB driver but it wont let me
set up the connect as PPPoA, unless I call it a dial up modem - then it
wants to use an ISDN line. Hopefully you can see my confusion.

The idea is only to get it to connect to make sure it works. Its a pure
ADSL USB modem. It forms part of a big project at the moment, but if I
can't get it to connect at all its all over before it starts.

Thanks again.

It uses DUN as a convenient way to pass parameters to the modem and instruct
it to connect. It doesn't actually dial anything. Also the reference to ISDN in the
driver is correct, don't take it literally.

You probably need a DUN connection using that so called ISDN device and
often the expected telephone number to "dial" is the VPI VCI combination separated
by a comma eg. 0,38.

What is the model number of this device and what OS are you running on the PC?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 12th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Graham. wrote:
"malcmail" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have a DUN connection set up for an old Conexant USB
modem and it works OK on my line, though doesn't get
as high a sync speed as my router. I have used it
when the router failed, or when I'm diagnosing a line
fault, as I don't have a second ADSL router to test.
It could also be used to connect a battery-powered
laptop during a power cut.

The telephone number shown is "0000000" and line type
is shown as "64K digital". PAP and CHAP security
settings are enabled.

I think Vista found the USB driver automatically. If
not, I may have loaded from a CD, though it would have
been XP at best. There's a suite of control programs
("AccessRunner", c.2004) used to set up parameters and
monitor the connection, but I don't seem to have those
installed - maybe they weren't Vista-compatible. DUN
will, of course, prompt for user name and password on
first connection.
Old December 15th 10, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malcmail

THanks again guys.

At the moment its via a Windows XP box but ultimately it will be getting
shfted to a linux box to hopefully run. I just wanted to see if I could
get it going first. The drivers came with it as well. It still doesnt
want to establish a connection saying that the port at the other end
won't open. I've followed pretty much everything here but no joy. As
soon as I can I'm going to try straight to the linux box and see what
happens. My guess is....nothing. Anyone any other bets?

--
malcmail
Old December 15th 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, malcmail
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I'm going to try straight to the linux box and see what happens. My guess
is....nothing. Anyone any other bets?

I got one of these working [a Zyxel variant] with linux about 4 years ago.
http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/ was the most useful source of
information on these things. I stopped using it before long because it
didn't do ADSL2+.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:13:51 up 3 days, 10:27, 6 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.02