Dlink DIR-825IP problem

Old December 11th 10, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Dlink DIR-825IP problem

I have one of these running exactly as I want it to. Having acquired a
second one I effectively wanted to clone the settings from the first. Having
done that I wanted to make the necessary changes so that they can co-exist
on the same network by changing the IP settings and SSIDs. When I try to do
this I am thwarted by an error message stating the LAN address is wrong or
that the subnet is incorrect. One of the difficulties is that the firmware
forces each separate part of the settings to be saved rather than allowing
all the settings to be altered and then saved. I am sure that the solution
is staring me in the face but as usual in these sort of circumstances I
can't see what is wrong. For example the router IP is set to 192.68.1.5 with
a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and on the cloned one I want to change this
to 192.168.1.6. but the error LAN subnet conflicts with WAN subnet. Both
subnet masks are set to 255.255.255.0 and in any case I can't find any other
setting for the subnet. Constructive suggestions welcome.

Peter Crosland

Old December 12th 10, 02:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 12/11/2010 2:33 PM, Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

I don't have that model to play around with but on many home routers you
can tell it to save the configuration file, so that you could reload it
later after a total reset to factory and be back to what you had.

Many times those configuration files are stored in some form of html or
just plain text with keywords. I have edited the stored configuration
file of some and then reloaded in the modified configuration file with
some success.

Might be worth a try to see what format your router stores it's
configuration files in when told to store it on the PC, if it has that
option.
Old December 12th 10, 03:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:33:02 -0000
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

[...]

So what are the WAN settings, because that's what the error message is
complaining about? You're not trying to point it at the other router,
are you?

Old December 12th 10, 08:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"GlowingBlueMist" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that. The file is saved with a BIN suffix but there is hope. I
have, I think, found the solution after some bed time reading!

Peter Crosland