Primus

Old December 12th 10, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

Default Primus

When seeking out a new broadband package I came across these guys.
It's the first time I've heard of them so are they any good for
broadband?

We are currently on virgin adsl (Non LLU) so assume they will also use
BT Wholesale.
Old December 12th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:59:22 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, John R disturbed my reverie and wrote:

When seeking out a new broadband package I came across these guys.
It's the first time I've heard of them so are they any good for
broadband?

We are currently on virgin adsl (Non LLU) so assume they will also use
BT Wholesale.

I'd include a link.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old December 12th 10, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:53:13 +0000, DrTeeth
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:59:22 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, John R disturbed my reverie and wrote:

When seeking out a new broadband package I came across these guys.
It's the first time I've heard of them so are they any good for
broadband?

We are currently on virgin adsl (Non LLU) so assume they will also use
BT Wholesale.

I'd include a link.

Good idea

http://www.primussaver.co.uk/

Old December 12th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:59:22 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, John R disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We are currently on virgin adsl (Non LLU) so assume they will also use
BT Wholesale.

In the words of the song, "it ain't necessarily so".

This "Primus handles your line rental instead of BT" worries me. I
would NEVER move my phone line away from BT as that greatly reduces my
flexibility in changing ISPs. However, it is not clear that they take
over the line - check with them. They may subcontract LLU equipment
from an LLU wholesaler.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old December 12th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:11:21 +0000, DrTeeth
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:59:22 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, John R disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We are currently on virgin adsl (Non LLU) so assume they will also use
BT Wholesale.

In the words of the song, "it ain't necessarily so".

This "Primus handles your line rental instead of BT" worries me. I
would NEVER move my phone line away from BT as that greatly reduces my
flexibility in changing ISPs. However, it is not clear that they take
over the line - check with them. They may subcontract LLU equipment
from an LLU wholesaler.

Thanks, I will. I am interested in what they are like in terms of
reliability on the broadband side. We are considering switching to
sky and I also saw this, although I have never heard of them before.

A friend of mine is about to go on to adsl broadband for the first
time and if they are ok, was going to suggest this one to her. At 17
a month for line rental and broadband its only an extra 2 on what she
pays now for mobile broadband, but with 3 x the bandwidth limit.

As regards phone line, if you decided to switch ISP's could you not
just leave that with (say) Primus and then move broadband to (say)
Sky. My friend doesn't have a phone line at all at the mo so the BT
issue isn't really a problem for her.
Old December 12th 10, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:02:14 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, John R disturbed my reverie and wrote:

As regards phone line, if you decided to switch ISP's could you not
just leave that with (say) Primus and then move broadband to (say)
Sky.

No. there are two types of LLU, one where the line stays with BT
(GOOD) and one when the line changes to the ISP (vy BAD IMHO and mni
others).

Check where tech support is and remember, you get what you pay for.

Good luck (meant sincerely, not sarcastically).
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old December 13th 10, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

For more info on the 'bad' LLU,
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/oth...e-telecom.html
--

Cheers

DrT

**Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year; and may your God go with you**
Old December 13th 10, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

John R stated on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 at 16:02:14,
the following...
wrote:

[...]

This is not as good as it seems on the surface! There is a minimum 18
month contract and the included telephone calls do not include 0845 and
0870 numbers.

Have a look at PlusNet, no long contracts, more inclusive numbers and a
well known company.
--
Peter
Old December 13th 10, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

wrote:

[...]

That is one of the benefits I enjoy with BT, although I will have to
go into another 12 month contract with them in February if i want to
remain with them. (That bit does pee me off, as we have been with
them for nearly 6 years at the current address)

Have a look at PlusNet, no long contracts, more inclusive numbers and a
well known company.

Plusnet crossed my mind even though I didn't check them out. Have
they improved their act? I remember them going through a very rough
time in terms of customer service and reliability. (I am aware they
are now a subsidiary of BT)

Just looked at them and we are not in a Plusnet area so it will be 13
a month for broadband after the first 3 months (which to be fair isn't
bad)

I am considering opting for Sky for myself and recommending Primus or
Plusnet to my friend. She doesn't have a phone line at the moment so
the 18 month contract with Primus isn't that much of a biggie. Her
biggest use will be a webcam she has just installed to keep in contact
with her brother and her new neice, but I don't envisage her going
over 10 gig a month, although with Primus I notice its just an extra
1 per gig if she does.
Old December 13th 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 13/12/2010 09:50, John R wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:26:14 +0000, Peter
wrote:

John stated on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 at 16:02:14,
the following...
wrote:

[...]

Plusnet is much more reliable nowadays and their call-centre is in
Sheffield where they all speak a (sort-of!) English.
The only problem with them is their traffic-management policy, which on
the majority of their tariffs "throttles" certain types of traffic
between stated times.
Having said that, their website contains information about what gets
throttled and when, so you can make a choice.
Personally, I can't abide throttling or "fair use" clauses, so I
reluctantly went for their Pro tariff.
Twenty quid a month or so but you get line speed at all times.

George