Router connection problem

Old December 13th 10, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

Default Router connection problem

Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
connecting. Although it connects it takes absolutely ages to fetch a
page. I unplugged router and reconnected and it was fine for a few
minutes then went again. I had assumed it was the router but he tells
me his daughters laptop picks up internet fine. His daughter is using
the wireless capability and he is using ethernet.

I'm nipping up there in the morning and will take an ethernet cable
with me but if it's not that any suggestions?

His computer is fine and running reasonably fast. (Windows XP)
Old December 13th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"John R" wrote in message
news
Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
connecting. Although it connects it takes absolutely ages to fetch a
page. I unplugged router and reconnected and it was fine for a few
minutes then went again. I had assumed it was the router but he tells
me his daughters laptop picks up internet fine. His daughter is using
the wireless capability and he is using ethernet.

I'm nipping up there in the morning and will take an ethernet cable
with me but if it's not that any suggestions?

His computer is fine and running reasonably fast. (Windows XP)

Take your own laptop and satisfy yourself that internet performance is
reasonable (as already indicated by the performance of the daughter's
laptop).

Then investigate the friend's computer. check that the hosts file has no
strange entries, check the DNS setings, reset IE to defaults, try a
different browser, run a trustworthy anti-malware program, ensure AV is
up-to-date and does not report any problems.

--
Graham J

Old December 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:51:46 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

"John R" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Graham. Already checked some of those but will do the others.
Old December 14th 10, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:08:33 +0000, John R wrote:

Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
connecting. Although it connects it takes absolutely ages to fetch a
page.

Slow to resolve the address or slow to fetch the page?

Slow with a different browser?

Tony
Old December 14th 10, 05:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John R wrote:
Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
connecting. Although it connects it takes absolutely ages to fetch a
page. I unplugged router and reconnected and it was fine for a few
minutes then went again. I had assumed it was the router but he tells
me his daughters laptop picks up internet fine. His daughter is using
the wireless capability and he is using ethernet.

I'm nipping up there in the morning and will take an ethernet cable
with me but if it's not that any suggestions?

His computer is fine and running reasonably fast. (Windows XP)

odd sites have been v slow for me here

There is a hack storm on the net associated with the wiki leaks thing.

Try dropping MTU sub 1432 bytes..that often improves things as then
there is no fragmentation involved.

Old December 14th 10, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:58:37 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:08:33 +0000, John R wrote:

Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
connecting. Although it connects it takes absolutely ages to fetch a
page.

Slow to resolve the address or slow to fetch the page?

Extremely slow to fetch the page, like treacle

Slow with a different browser?

Yep both Firefox and IE.
Old December 15th 10, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:59:32 +0000, John R
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:51:46 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

"John R" wrote in message
news
[...]

It turned out to be the ethernet cable.
Old December 15th 10, 02:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:51:46 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

"John R" wrote in message
news Someone I know has a D-Link router and he has started having trouble
[...]

I have never seen that before. Usually they work or fall flat
completely. Have you any idea what exactly was wrong with it?

always happy to store another problem away, in case I ever meet it again.
Old December 15th 10, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

"John R" wrote in message
[...]

None whatsoever. I checked the card at the back of the pc and the
lights were on solid. I loaded an internet page and it just hung
saying it was trying to find the page. The only thing i forgot to
check in the list above was the host files.

I then plugged in another ethernet cable and it worked, although it
initially hung for a few seconds. I tried several other pages and
they were fine, including ones I considered heavy on
content/resources.

I rebooted PC and tried again, then left it for a bit and tried again.
Everything seemed fine. I've asked him to let me know if he has any
further problems.