Communal broadband in a housing complex

Old December 14th 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

Default Communal broadband in a housing complex

I've been asked if I can give any advice on ways to improve the broadband
facilities in a retirement complex, and would appreciate any suggestions
from the experts here that might improve speed and/or reduce the cost,
whilst not adversely affecting the level of customer service given by the
ISP.

At the moment they have a single BT phone line used only for ADSL broadband
from Zen on their Office 8000 Max package. This feeds a Netgear DG834 ADSL
modem/router, which in turn feeds two Netgear WG302 Access Points each with
9dB antennas with 500/200/100 boosters positioned to maximise wireless
coverage across the site, with Netgear WG602 Access Points installed for
each end-user. This gives reasonable wifi coverage.

Current total usage is 20-30 GB download per month, but I'm pretty sure this
will grow over time, as users increase in number and become more IT aware.

Zen have suggested getting a second BT line and changing to two cheaper
packages, which offer 50 GB per month, and which they say would double the
speed and halve the monthly cost (but would incur extra line installation
and rental). Virgin Cable is not available.

Any suggestions for improvement welcome!
--

Don

Old December 14th 10, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 14/12/2010 15:35, Don wrote:

Current total usage is 20-30 GB download per month, but I'm pretty sure this
will grow over time, as users increase in number and become more IT aware.

20-30 GB download per month? How many apartments?

Checked outside for dodgy sorts in pimped out and blacked out cars
sneaking onto the WiFi?

--
Adrian C

Old December 14th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Adrian C wrote:
On 14/12/2010 15:35, Don wrote:

Current total usage is 20-30 GB download per month, but I'm pretty
sure this
will grow over time, as users increase in number and become more IT
aware.

20-30 GB download per month? How many apartments?

we do that with just two of us..

Checked outside for dodgy sorts in pimped out and blacked out cars
sneaking onto the WiFi?

Hmm.
Old December 14th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Don wrote:
[...]

Nope. Unless you stuff an in line proxy server in there, you will always
be constrained by the pipe to the exchange.

Nothing you can do will change that. Except buy more or fatter pipes.
Old December 14th 10, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Don wrote:
Zen have suggested getting a second BT line and changing to two cheaper
packages, which offer 50 GB per month, and which they say would double the
speed and halve the monthly cost (but would incur extra line installation
and rental). Virgin Cable is not available.

Will Zen do bonding so the two ADSL lines look like one connection? If not
you might run each of the two wireless gateways on a different line. That
means half the apartments are on one ADSL line and half on the other. If
you do this you could also buy the connection from someone other than Zen,
so you're still connected if Zen break their system. Doesn't prevent BT
screwing up, of course.

Theo
Old December 14th 10, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Don" wrote in message
I've been asked if I can give any advice on ways to improve the broadband
facilities in a retirement complex, and would appreciate any suggestions
from the experts here that might improve speed and/or reduce the cost,
whilst not adversely affecting the level of customer service given by the
ISP.

At the moment they have a single BT phone line used only for ADSL
broadband from Zen on their Office 8000 Max package. This feeds a Netgear
DG834 ADSL modem/router, which in turn feeds two Netgear WG302 Access
Points each with 9dB antennas with 500/200/100 boosters positioned to
maximise wireless coverage across the site, with Netgear WG602 Access
Points installed for each end-user. This gives reasonable wifi coverage.

What's the postcode or phone number?

Then you can look up:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

and check out LLU options, (if any) and distance from the exchange, etc.

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of 1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

Old December 15th 10, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Beattie

On 2010-12-14 20:06:39 +0000, Theo Markettos said:

Don wrote:
Zen have suggested getting a second BT line and changing to two cheaper
packages, which offer 50 GB per month, and which they say would double the
speed and halve the monthly cost (but would incur extra line installation
and rental). Virgin Cable is not available.

Will Zen do bonding so the two ADSL lines look like one connection? If not
you might run each of the two wireless gateways on a different line. That
means half the apartments are on one ADSL line and half on the other. If
you do this you could also buy the connection from someone other than Zen,
so you're still connected if Zen break their system. Doesn't prevent BT
screwing up, of course.

Theo

As above bonded ADSL or SDSL is probably the best option depending on
whether there are any LLU providers available on the exchange. The
other options is to seperate the networks, this isn't idea as if you
split them in two one could have high usage, the other very little. You
could install a proxy server or similar to "bond" two seperate
connections if you can't get Zen to do that on the BT side. I would be
very surprised if you can't though.

Old December 15th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

In ,
Don typed:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback.

flies, probably about 350-400m cable route, and Sam Knows lists the
available services as
a.. BT Wholesale ADSL
b.. BT Wholesale ADSL Max
c.. AOL LLU
d.. O2 / Be LLU
e.. Bulldog LLU
f.. TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
g.. Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
I understand there are about 50 users on site, but that's less than a third
of the total number of properties - a lot of people aren't into the
technology, hence the low monthly download! I'm sure both users and usage
will increase over time.

Point taken on the blacked out cars - the network is secured.

Splitting the wireless gateways between two BT lines would work, but almost
certainly wouldn't give a very good split of the load - better to get Zen
(or someone else) to bond the lines, I suspect.

Any recommendations for alternative ISPs/tariffs to Zen's Office 8000 Max,
to keep the cost down?
--

Don

Old December 15th 10, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Don
writes
In ,
Don typed:
[...]

It's a while since I used Zen but IIUC that service is limited to 8MB
download. As you're speaking to Zen I presume you have discussed their
current 20Mbit LLU offerings with them? Are they unavailable?

Given your distance from the exchange and the wide range of LLU
providers it seems daft to bond 2 x 8Mbit lines if a 20Mbit LLU offering
is available or may become available in the near future.

My choice from the above would be Be LLU.

Obvious ones to avoid are Talk Talk and AOL.
--
fred
Old December 15th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

%
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Don writes
In ,
Don typed:
[...]

BE do line bonding for 65 p.m.with ideal speeds of 44/5 mb/s

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation