Upgrading my wireless router

Old December 17th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

Default Upgrading my wireless router

I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it. If I'm
in the living room the signal strength drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I
am probably about 20/30 foot away. I have now added voip to the phone
and don't want to risk drop out if the signal strength is weak. I work
from home so voip is an added bonus and avoids calls coming in on a
mobile number.

The current router is a Netgear 834G and I have been more than happy
with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a

Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN

is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?
Old December 17th 10, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, John R
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

The current router is a Netgear 834G and I have been more than happy
with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a

Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN

That gets precisely 1 hit from Google. Do you mean a DG834PN?

is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?

Do you have any N clients? If none of your clients are N then having an N
router won't make any difference.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:37:53 up 5 days, 16:23, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.18, 0.15

Old December 17th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:00:42 +0000, alexd
wrote:

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, John R
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

The current router is a Netgear 834G and I have been more than happy
with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a

Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN

That gets precisely 1 hit from Google. Do you mean a DG834PN?

Yes, I cut and pasted it from ebay, which is where I saw it.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_mo...er_dg834pn.php

is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?

Do you have any N clients? If none of your clients are N then having an N
router won't make any difference.

Not that I'm aware. Sony Vaio Laptop and HTC Wildfire are the two
wireless devices linked. I assumed (probably wrongly) that N gave
better wireless coverage.
Old December 17th 10, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 17/12/2010 in message John
R wrote:

Not that I'm aware. Sony Vaio Laptop and HTC Wildfire are the two
wireless devices linked. I assumed (probably wrongly) that N gave
better wireless coverage.

It's a different standard so you need the same at both ends. It does
something clever with the signals but I can't remember exactly what.
What sort of structure do you have between the smartphone and the router?
Walls, metal, foil backed plaster-board etc. etc.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant
Old December 17th 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

John R wrote:

I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it.

Are those links wireless or by LAN cable?

Assuming that your VOIP phone can't used a cabled connection to the router,
and assuming that no drop-outs etc really matter, I think I'd try to put a
wireless access point/extender close to where you're going to use the phone,
but have the AP cabled to the router.

Possibly you could move the router and run cables to your son's room?

Wired internet is much more reliable than wireless.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old December 17th 10, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

John R wrote in
:

I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it. If I'm
in the living room the signal strength drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I
am probably about 20/30 foot away. I have now added voip to the phone
and don't want to risk drop out if the signal strength is weak. I work
from home so voip is an added bonus and avoids calls coming in on a
mobile number.

The current router is a Netgear 834G and I have been more than happy
with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a

Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN

is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?

Depending on the local geography, placing the router antenna in a "better"
place might suffice. Search the well-known auction site for

wifi antenna base

and also for

wifi antenna extender

I use a base with 1.5 metres of cable to the router (also a DG834G) to get
the router's original antenna into reasonably clear space - this gives a
noticeable improvement in signal strength. A lot cheaper than buying a new
router :-)

ymmv
Old December 17th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On 17 Dec 2010 18:12:31 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

On 17/12/2010 in message John
R wrote:

Not that I'm aware. Sony Vaio Laptop and HTC Wildfire are the two
wireless devices linked. I assumed (probably wrongly) that N gave
better wireless coverage.

It's a different standard so you need the same at both ends. It does
something clever with the signals but I can't remember exactly what.
What sort of structure do you have between the smartphone and the router?
Walls, metal, foil backed plaster-board etc. etc.

2 walls, brick or briese block, I think.
Old December 17th 10, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, John R
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?

If your problem is just wireless, you may not need to replace the router.
You've indicated that you can't reposition the existing one; if you can run
an ethernet cable of some length, then you could stick another one on that
to provide wireless where it's needed. Or using powerline networking is
another possibility.

Not that I'm aware. Sony Vaio Laptop and HTC Wildfire are the two
wireless devices linked. I assumed (probably wrongly) that N gave
better wireless coverage.

Yeah, but only if you use it at both ends! And another thing, the AP will
fall back to the lowest common denominator, ie if you have a mixture of G
and N clients, you'll be running at G speeds. This may or may not be a
problem for you.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

Old December 17th 10, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:18:26 +0000, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
wrote:

John R wrote:

I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it.

Are those links wireless or by LAN cable?

Lan

Assuming that your VOIP phone can't used a cabled connection to the router,
and assuming that no drop-outs etc really matter, I think I'd try to put a
wireless access point/extender close to where you're going to use the phone,
but have the AP cabled to the router.

That sounds like a good idea.

Possibly you could move the router and run cables to your son's room?

That was the original set up, running the ps3 and xbox on wireless.
One was ok, the other wasn't, so we moved the router to his room and
changed them to lan, then ran a cable to my desktop in the living
room.

Wired internet is much more reliable than wireless.

I agree. I did at one time buy a Thompson Voip router off ebay for
£50 but it rebooted itself at least once a day, I didn't want that to
happen during a call so changed back to my netgear router.

Eventually I think I will get one again brand new but for now the
android will have to do. I havent done a lot with the business to be
honest this last year but want to get it up and running again properly
in the new year.
Old December 17th 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:38:37 +0000 (UTC), Chris Cheney
wrote:

Depending on the local geography, placing the router antenna in a "better"
place might suffice. Search the well-known auction site for

wifi antenna base

and also for

wifi antenna extender

I use a base with 1.5 metres of cable to the router (also a DG834G) to get
the router's original antenna into reasonably clear space - this gives a
noticeable improvement in signal strength. A lot cheaper than buying a new
router :-)

Yep, as i said to Jeremy that sounds like a good idea. Thanks