Talk-Talk Scream-Scream ;-(

Old December 20th 10, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Talk-Talk Scream-Scream ;-(

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message ...
James Noble wrote:
Graham J said the following on Thu, 16 Dec 2010 at 21:22:24

Years ago my boss rang me from Milton Keynes with virtually the same
question. He wanted to get to a customer there, and I had once lived in
Milton Keynes so he thought I could help. Not much, since he didn't know
**where* in Milton Keynes he was at the time

Reminds me of the helicopter tour in Seattle. The tour party boarded the helicopter and it took off to view the sights of the
city. Suddenly a thick fog rolled in and obscured all but the upper floors of the skyscrapers and the pilot, used to flying by
landmarks, admitted that he didn't know where the airfield was.

He flew over to the nearest skyscraper and held up a large board on which he had scrawled "Where am I?". A man in one of the
office windows held up a similar board which said "In a helicopter". The pilot did a 180 degree turn and landed on the airfield,
still covered with fog, a couple of minutes later to the relief of all his passengers.

As the passengers were disembarking, one of them turned to the pilot and thanked him for getting them back safely but, he wanted
to know, "How did you know where the airfield was from the answer that guy gave you?".

"Well", said the pilot, "When the guy held up his board I knew immediately where I was". "How did you know which building it
was?" asked the passenger. "Because the answer, although factually correct, was of absolutely no use whatsoever so I knew
instantly that it was the Microsoft building and from there it is easy to navigate back to here".

Urban myth of course, but still funny.

Urban myth?
It's a joke, a gag, or a comic story.
Urban myth implies it was widely bereaved as a true anecdote, I doubt that somehow.

There was of course that scene in "The Spirit of St. Louis" where Charles Lindbergh played
by James Stuart shouts to a fishing boat "Which way to Ireland!"

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%