plusnet problem

Old December 20th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Default plusnet problem

I see from the status page that Plusnet's bandwidth throttling system
has thrown a wobbler, it claims that individual users will be stuck on a
"nighttime" profile, but mine is *VERY* much worse than any normal
profile, SSH sessions are practically unusable, google maps freezes for
minutes at a time, same with usenet and openvpn sessions

Anyone else?
Old December 20th 10, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote:

I see from the status page that Plusnet's bandwidth throttling system
has thrown a wobbler

No update on the status page, but feels like somebody's just kicked it
in the appropriate location ...
Old December 20th 10, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:53:54 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote in
:

I see from the status page that Plusnet's bandwidth throttling system
has thrown a wobbler, it claims that individual users will be stuck on a
"nighttime" profile, but mine is *VERY* much worse than any normal
profile, SSH sessions are practically unusable, google maps freezes for
minutes at a time, same with usenet and openvpn sessions

Anyone else?

Some yes, some no, it would appear. See the newsgroup
plusnet.service.customer-feedback (start with Message-ID
)

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old December 20th 10, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
I see from the status page that Plusnet's bandwidth throttling system
has thrown a wobbler, it claims that individual users will be stuck on a
"nighttime" profile, but mine is *VERY* much worse than any normal
profile, SSH sessions are practically unusable, google maps freezes for
minutes at a time, same with usenet and openvpn sessions

Anyone else?

Yep. I've lost usenet. I found it had gone at about 07:00 this morning.
I lose about 50% of pings to eu.news.astraweb.com and us.news.astraweb.com.
I've raised a ticket.

Eric

Old December 20th 10, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Boulding wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:53:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Anyone else?

Some yes, some no, it would appear.

Seems better at the moment (not restarted router again)

See the newsgroup
plusnet.service.customer-feedback (start with Message-ID
)

I don't see any groups plusnet.* on server news.plus.net

Old December 20th 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Eric Parker" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
I see from the status page that Plusnet's bandwidth throttling system
has thrown a wobbler, it claims that individual users will be stuck on a
"nighttime" profile, but mine is *VERY* much worse than any normal
profile, SSH sessions are practically unusable, google maps freezes for
minutes at a time, same with usenet and openvpn sessions

Anyone else?

Yep. I've lost usenet. I found it had gone at about 07:00 this morning.
I lose about 50% of pings to eu.news.astraweb.com and
us.news.astraweb.com.
I've raised a ticket.

This probably why.

Service: Broadband
Subject: View My Usage / Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

This is an update to this morning's post about the problems we've been
experiencing with our traffic management platform.

At approximately 9pm last night one of our databases suffered a disk failure
which has caused a number of problems that may be affecting customers.

* Broadband usage for the last 12 hours or so may not be showing when
checking the usage reporting tool available on our website.

* Our traffic management platforms are 'frozen' at 9.00pm last night. Any
traffic management restrictions that were applied to your account at this
time of the evening will still be in place now.

* If you've disconnected/reconnected between 9.00pm last night and now then
you will have been assigned a 'default traffic management profile' from
9.00pm last night. This profile heavily restricts time sensitive activities
such as Peer-to-Peer filesharing and Binary Usenet. It may also affect the
use of some high-definition streaming services and download sites/servers.

* If your traffic is restricted due to exceeding your monthly allowance, and
you are due to be billed today, then the restrictions are unlikely to be
removed until the underlying cause of the problem is resolved.

* If your account has entered failed billing then you may be having
difficulty making a payment and lifting the billing restrictions.

Only if you're in failed billing should you try disconnecting and
reconnecting if you're having difficulty getting online after making a late
payment.

In all other circumstances we recommend that you *avoid
disconnecting/reconnecting* as you're likely to make the situation worse if
you do.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience and will post another
update this afternoon.

Kind regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Peter Crosland

Old December 20th 10, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Crosland wrote:

This probably why.

Service: Broadband

I did indicate in my first post that I was aware from the status oage
that there was an issue, I was more concerned that the issue was making
things much worse than the status message implied.

Old December 20th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news

In all other circumstances we recommend that you *avoid
disconnecting/reconnecting* as you're likely to make the situation worse
if you do.

Unfortunately I rebooted the modem/router at around 07:15 this morning. Sigh
!

Eric

Old December 20th 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:49:38 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote in
:

Peter Boulding wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:53:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Anyone else?

Some yes, some no, it would appear.

Seems better at the moment (not restarted router again)

See the newsgroup
plusnet.service.customer-feedback (start with Message-ID
)

I don't see any groups plusnet.* on server news.plus.net

That's odd. Plus net customers should see 26 of them.

Do I take it from your path header that you're a Brightview--and formerly
Madasafish--customer? If so I'd have guessed that you should have been
granted access when BT started merging the Brightview and Plus Net
platforms. Maybe you should raise a support ticket to ask for clarification.
Or maybe Bob Pullen will be along to comment.

Old December 20th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Eric Parker wrote:

"Peter Crosland" quoted:

"In all other circumstances we recommend that you *avoid
disconnecting/reconnecting* as you're likely to make the situation worse
if you do."

Unfortunately I rebooted the modem/router at around 07:15 this morning.

Mine had also rebooted at around that time (despite having been up
without a glitch for the past 16 days) I then rebooted it again at about
10am when SSH was unusable.