Plusnet Problem 2

Old December 20th 10, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Plusnet Problem 2

In addition to the problem discussed within the tread "plusnet problem",
Plusnet have issued many status messages in the last couple of days
concerning a problem with their email servers which resulted from an
update/migration which went wrong. This prevented some people from
accessing the servers to retrieve their email, and also in some cases
did allow people to log on but then declared the mailboxes to be empty
when there were known to be emails in them, because of an indexing error.

I had a problem today which may or may not be related to this. PN's
helpline says it's not - but I'm not convinced. I monitor my emails in
Mailwasher, and zap any unwanted ones without downloading them. Those I
*do* want, I download into Outlook - one account at a time. Once
downloaded, they automatically get deleted from the PN server. The
problem I had today was that I told Outlook to download two emails (one
from each of two mailboxes on my PN account) and Outlook went through
the motions but nothing appeared in my Inbox. However, the emails *did*
get deleted from the PN server - and were no longer visible in
Mailwasher (or in PN Webmail)

These particular emails were not very important, but I can't afford to
have this happen to important ones. Have any of you ever seen anything
like this, and can anyone throw any light on what may have happened?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 21st 10, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:58:45 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

Why don't you set your program to leave the e-mails on for a few days
after they have been downloaded.
Old December 21st 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 21/12/2010 08:37, Bob L wrote:

Why don't you set your program to leave the e-mails on for a few days
after they have been downloaded.

Yes, I changed the settings to do that as soon as I was aware of a
problem - but I'm no wiser as to what happened.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 22nd 10, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

wrote:

[...]

Does your antivirus do anything to emails it doesn't like?

--
brightside S9
Old December 22nd 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but not without telling me. There's nothing relevant in the virus
vault.

Unless there's a problem with PN's server - which they deny - the most
likely explanation for what happened is that I accidentally zapped them
in Mailwasher while zapping other emails which I didn't want. I'm
*pretty* sure I didn't (I have done so in the past, and am usually aware
of it when I do) - but it could be old age creeping up on me!g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 28th 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 20/12/2010 21:58, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Clients who leave mail on servers generally use the UIDL command to get
the current association of message-numbers to message identified by its
unique identifier.

Having seen other reports of duplicate emails being downloaded etc. I'm
warranting a /very/ sketchy guess that migrating our customers' mail
onto a new storage platform, the problems we had, and the subsequent
cleanup, caused some clients to get confused with their UIDL ordering.

Could it be that whilst Mailwasher saw the message as new, Outlook
thought it had already been downloaded (or something similar)?