AOL on the blink?

Old December 21st 10, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Default AOL on the blink?

Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

George
Old December 21st 10, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
George Weston wrote:
Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

AOL's DNS seems to be broken at the moment, they have neither an MX record
(Mail Exchange host) nor an A record (IPv4 address) so there is no way
to deliver mail to them.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old December 21st 10, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 21/12/2010 09:49, Nick Leverton wrote:
In ,
George wrote:
Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

AOL's DNS seems to be broken at the moment, they have neither an MX record
(Mail Exchange host) nor an A record (IPv4 address) so there is no way
to deliver mail to them.

Nick

Thanks, Nick.

George
Old December 21st 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:49:28 UTC, Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article ,
George Weston wrote:
Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

AOL's DNS seems to be broken at the moment, they have neither an MX record
(Mail Exchange host) nor an A record (IPv4 address) so there is no way
to deliver mail to them.

Hmm, my mail list is only getting that type of bounce for *some* aol
addresses not all.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old December 21st 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

George Weston wrote:
Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

George

Ee, back in 1995 when I got my first "proper" PC (before then I'd had a
Commodore VIC20, Commodore 64, Sinclair Spectrum and ZX81 etc), I got
internet access via Compuserve. AOL had already earned the nickname of
AOHell and were being rubbished even then - maybe things never improve?

Old December 21st 10, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Saville wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:49:28 UTC, Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article ,
George Weston wrote:
Sent an email today to a few people but got bounce-back messages from
two of them who are both on AOL, with the following explanation:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up aol.com (A):
domain has no A record'

Anyone know what this means?

AOL's DNS seems to be broken at the moment, they have neither an MX record
(Mail Exchange host) nor an A record (IPv4 address) so there is no way
to deliver mail to them.

Hmm, my mail list is only getting that type of bounce for *some* aol
addresses not all.

That probably means SOME DNS lookups work, while others fail
I saw the same on Youtube a few days ago.

Some messy cyber wars going on out there.
Old December 21st 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Pete Zahut wrote:
[...] AOL had already earned the nickname of
AOHell and were being rubbished even then - maybe things never improve?

AOL improved *tremendously* a few years ago. (Mind you, I'd still prefer
not to be a customer of theirs.)

Chris
Old December 21st 10, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

wrote:

AOL's DNS seems to be broken at the moment, they have neither an MX record
(Mail Exchange host) nor an A record (IPv4 address) so there is no way
to deliver mail to them.

Hmm, my mail list is only getting that type of bounce for *some* aol
addresses not all.

That probably means SOME DNS lookups work, while others fail
I saw the same on Youtube a few days ago.

Quite probably. I didn't have time this morning to do a full recursive
check, but a problem in one of their nameservers would cause this symptom.

This evening the domain is showing as OK.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old December 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On Dec 21, 5:22*pm, Chris Davies wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...] AOL had already earned the nickname of
AOHell and were being rubbished even then - maybe things never improve?

AOL improved *tremendously* a few years ago. (Mind you, I'd still prefer
not to be a customer of theirs.)

I have AOL broadband since the contract suits me. I am prepared
to live with the consequent poor support.

I would however never consider AOL email - well except
to log support cases - which they require unless you
like premium rate phone calls.

Gmail, hotmail, many many others look likely to be
more reliable and do not tie you into any particular ISP.

Not worth a second glance in my view.