Filters

Old December 22nd 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

Default Filters

I upgraded from 4Mbps Speedtouch 320 to Netgear DGN1000 (as BT have improved
the line quality to 4Mbps). The filter, supplied with the Netgear router,
'filters out' the caller ID so I've reverted to the 'ancient' filter
supplied with the Speedtouch.

Does the filter have any restriction on the connection speed? If so, which
type of filter would I need to give me a higher speed and retain the ability
to identify the incoming line? I'm on a BT line, with BT Freelance ZA500
cordless phone system plugged into the only (main) phone point.

Keith

Old December 22nd 10, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 22/12/2010 13:19, Keith wrote:
I upgraded from 4Mbps Speedtouch 320 to Netgear DGN1000 (as BT have improved
the line quality to 4Mbps). The filter, supplied with the Netgear router,
'filters out' the caller ID so I've reverted to the 'ancient' filter
supplied with the Speedtouch.

Does the filter have any restriction on the connection speed? If so, which
type of filter would I need to give me a higher speed and retain the ability
to identify the incoming line? I'm on a BT line, with BT Freelance ZA500
cordless phone system plugged into the only (main) phone point.

Keith

Sounds like there's something wrong with the filter supplied by Netgear
- it shouldn't stop Caller ID from working.

If the old one works ok, use that. It only filters the voice part of the
circuit - with the ADSL bit being a straight through connection - so the
filter won't restrict the speed.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 22nd 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Keith" wrote in message
I upgraded from 4Mbps Speedtouch 320 to Netgear DGN1000 (as BT have
improved the line quality to 4Mbps). The filter, supplied with the
Netgear router, 'filters out' the caller ID so I've reverted to the
'ancient' filter supplied with the Speedtouch.

Does the filter have any restriction on the connection speed? If so,
which type of filter would I need to give me a higher speed and retain the
ability to identify the incoming line? I'm on a BT line, with BT Freelance
ZA500 cordless phone system plugged into the only (main) phone point.

It's almost definitely not that the filter is stopping the caller ID signals
from getting through but that it isn't as good at stopping the outgoing ADSL
signals from reaching your Caller ID display.

Some Caller ID displaying equipment is very sensitive to ADSL signals on the
line.

You can check by switching your modem off and seeing if that restores caller
ID display.

There's no reason at all why you shouldn't use the other filter if it works
best with caller ID.
It's looks like it's a better filter anyway.

For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem I have found this
filter:
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php
to be an excellent filter.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old December 23rd 10, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Roger. I'll stick with my old filter as ' the filter won't restrict
the speed.'
The Netgear supplier did send me another filter, same code/part #s, same
problem. Original Netgear filter was 'in the box', next to the DGN1000.

Old December 23rd 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Brian. I did try switching off/on modem/router - no joy. I plan to
stay with old filter (as it works), but will have a dekko at adslnation.

Old December 23rd 10, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Keith" wrote in message
I upgraded from 4Mbps Speedtouch 320 to Netgear DGN1000 (as BT have
improved the line quality to 4Mbps). The filter, supplied with the
Netgear router, 'filters out' the caller ID so I've reverted to the
'ancient' filter supplied with the Speedtouch.

Does the filter have any restriction on the connection speed? If so,
which type of filter would I need to give me a higher speed and retain the
ability to identify the incoming line? I'm on a BT line, with BT Freelance
ZA500 cordless phone system plugged into the only (main) phone point.

Assuming you have a NTL5 master socket remove the faceplate and plug the
phone into the test socket behind. Dial 17070 and select the ringback
action. Replace the handset and see if the Openreach number is displayed.
Repeat using just the filter. This should establish there is any problem
with the filter.

Peter Crosland

Old December 23rd 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Keith
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message

Some Caller ID displaying equipment is very sensitive to ADSL signals on
the line.

You can check by switching your modem off and seeing if that restores
caller ID display.

Thanks Brian. I did try switching off/on modem/router - no joy. I plan to
stay with old filter (as it works), but will have a dekko at adslnation.

ISTR someone saying that the exchange equipment [DSLAM] doesn't send a DSL
signal down the line unless it detects DSL equipment connected. If that's
true, then switching off your router means there's no DSL on the line. If
your phone is sensitive to DSL, then you could try double-filtering the
phone. Just daisy-chain the DSL filters together and plug your phone into
the last one.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:09:01 up 5 days, 22:46, 6 users, load average: 0.22, 0.16, 0.05

Old December 23rd 10, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Keith
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message

Some Caller ID displaying equipment is very sensitive to ADSL signals on
the line.

You can check by switching your modem off and seeing if that restores
caller ID display.

Thanks Brian. I did try switching off/on modem/router - no joy. I plan to
stay with old filter (as it works), but will have a dekko at adslnation.

ISTR someone saying that the exchange equipment [DSLAM] doesn't send a DSL
signal down the line unless it detects DSL equipment connected.

That seems to be the case. I have hiss on my line (despite every single
filter combo known to man having been tried, with almost no audibly
detectable difference or change in synch rate being observed) but it
vanishes when the router is off.

If that's
true, then switching off your router means there's no DSL on the line. If
your phone is sensitive to DSL, then you could try double-filtering the
phone. Just daisy-chain the DSL filters together and plug your phone into
the last one.

Made **** all difference to me with three in series and a ferrite
toroidal choke. Its actually baseband hiss caused by intermodulation on
a non linear phone line, is my guess.
Old December 23rd 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:34:05 +0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

Assuming you have a NTL5 master socket

Obviously from a cable company! .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old December 23rd 10, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:34:05 +0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

Assuming you have a NTL5 master socket

Obviously from a cable company! .-)

Your point is?

Peter Crosland