Alternative router?

Old December 26th 10, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Default Alternative router?

?Hello, I've went with BT Infinity, glad to have faster speed now, but I do
not like the Home Hub 2. Do any of you know of a suitable replacement for
it, preferably Netgear, as I had a DG834GT, and 2 of my desktops use Netgear
PCI aerials. If not Netgear, then Fritz!box. I have googled, but so far have
not been able to unearth anything, it's been a few years since I set up my
network at home, and I'd appreciate any help from some of the resident
experts here.

Old December 26th 10, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:55:12 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Carl" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Do any of you know of a suitable replacement for
it

Any cable router will do, one that would be needed to connect to a
cable modem, which is what BT supplies.
--

Cheers

DrT

*** Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and may your God go with you! ***
Old December 26th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Carl" wrote in message
?Hello, I've went with BT Infinity, glad to have faster speed now, but I
do not like the Home Hub 2. Do any of you know of a suitable replacement
for it, preferably Netgear, as I had a DG834GT, and 2 of my desktops use
Netgear PCI aerials. If not Netgear, then Fritz!box. I have googled, but
so far have not been able to unearth anything, it's been a few years since
I set up my network at home, and I'd appreciate any help from some of the
resident experts here.

If you can detail your requirements such as speed, facilities and if you
need wireless N then I can make some suggestions.

Peter Crosland

Old December 26th 10, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

?

If you can detail your requirements such as speed, facilities and if you
need wireless N then I can make some suggestions.

Peter Crosland

Yup, wireless N, wired LAN, and the ability to plug in the telephone as well
would be great. Wireless for the other desktops is provided by Netgear N300
Wireless PCI adapters WN311B, and Gigabit LAN for the wired. I also have a
QNap TS-219 home server, those are my requirements. I'm thinking of
Fritz!box as I was talking to one of their people whilst playing a Total War
game online, he sang the praises of the Netgear DG384GT that I was using at
the time!

Old December 26th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 17:00:45 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Carl" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

I'm thinking of
Fritz!box

They don't seem to have a cable router in their product line.

Go here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ you need any of the products
under the Virgin sign that suits your needs. They are all much of a
muchness.

Old December 26th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

If you can detail your requirements such as speed, facilities and if you
need wireless N then I can make some suggestions.

Peter Crosland

Yup, wireless N, wired LAN, and the ability to plug in the telephone as
well would be great. Wireless for the other desktops is provided by
Netgear N300 Wireless PCI adapters WN311B, and Gigabit LAN for the wired.
I also have a QNap TS-219 home server, those are my requirements. I'm
thinking of Fritz!box as I was talking to one of their people whilst
playing a Total War game online, he sang the praises of the Netgear
DG384GT that I was using at the time!

In my experience the D-Link range are superior in every way to Netgear. I
can't comment on the Fritzbox range. If you have a problem with your ADSL
connection then get a 2Wire 2700HGV ( Often badged as BT Business Hub) for
that and fit whatever you choose behind it.

Peter Crosland

Old December 26th 10, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 21:54:53 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Peter Crosland" disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

In my experience the D-Link range are superior in every way to Netgear. I
can't comment on the Fritzbox range. If you have a problem with your ADSL
connection then get a 2Wire 2700HGV ( Often badged as BT Business Hub) for
that and fit whatever you choose behind it.

I've went with BT Infinity,

It is FTTC NOT ADSL. The only problem he has with his ADSL connection
is that he has not got one g!

Old December 26th 10, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

?
It is FTTC NOT ADSL. The only problem he has with his ADSL connection
is that he has not got one g!

Yes, you are correct! Given you seem to be a font of knowledge, can you
advise on an alternative? Thanks anyway for the replies so far.

Old December 27th 10, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

Carl stated on Sun, 26 Dec 2010 at 23:18:25, the
following...
?
It is FTTC NOT ADSL. The only problem he has with his ADSL connection
is that he has not got one g!

Yes, you are correct! Given you seem to be a font of knowledge, can you
advise on an alternative? Thanks anyway for the replies so far.

How about worrying about your pathetic Usenet client first?

Or perhaps, you could take the small step of making it clear what is a
statement and what is a reply?
--
Peter
Old December 27th 10, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Carl" wrote in message
?
It is FTTC NOT ADSL. The only problem he has with his ADSL connection
is that he has not got one g!

Yes, you are correct! Given you seem to be a font of knowledge, can you
advise on an alternative? Thanks anyway for the replies so far.

Noted. FTTC has not reached these rural parts so I have no experience of it.
From what I have heard the connection from the cabinet to the customers is
still over the copper phone line in which case it is, as far as connecting
the equipment is concerned, identical to ADSL. Maybe someone will correct me
if I am wrong.

Peter Crosland