WPA-PSK key - permitted characters

Old December 28th 10, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default WPA-PSK key - permitted characters

What are the permitted characters in a WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless key?

I'd always thought that any character in the range 0x20 (space) to 0x7E
(tilde) was permitted.

However I've just found that a Kindle e-book reader cannot connect
wirelessly to a router whose wireless key includes a hyphen (0x2D); removal
of the hyphen from the router's key allowed the Kindle to connect.

Is the Kindle non-compliant or is only a subset of the characters (eg
letters and digits but not punctuation) permitted according to the standard?

Old December 29th 10, 04:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:55:42 -0000
"Mortimer" wrote:

What are the permitted characters in a WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless key?

All the printable ASCII characters.

I'd always thought that any character in the range 0x20 (space) to
0x7E (tilde) was permitted.

However I've just found that a Kindle e-book reader cannot connect
wirelessly to a router whose wireless key includes a hyphen (0x2D);
removal of the hyphen from the router's key allowed the Kindle to
connect.

Is the Kindle non-compliant or is only a subset of the characters (eg
letters and digits but not punctuation) permitted according to the
standard?

Sounds like a Kindle bug to me.

Old December 29th 10, 10:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

wrote:

What are the permitted characters in a WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless key?

All the printable ASCII characters.

I'd always thought that any character in the range 0x20 (space) to
0x7E (tilde) was permitted.

However I've just found that a Kindle e-book reader cannot connect
wirelessly to a router whose wireless key includes a hyphen (0x2D);
removal of the hyphen from the router's key allowed the Kindle to
connect.

Is the Kindle non-compliant or is only a subset of the characters (eg
letters and digits but not punctuation) permitted according to the
standard?

Sounds like a Kindle bug to me.

FWIW I've just looked in my WPA key generator script, because I remember
I had a similar problem quite a while back; I found a comment "nb belkin
doesn't like @ symbol". Irritating non-conformance.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old December 29th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:55:42 UTC, "Mortimer" wrote:

What are the permitted characters in a WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless key?

I'd always thought that any character in the range 0x20 (space) to 0x7E
(tilde) was permitted.

However I've just found that a Kindle e-book reader cannot connect
wirelessly to a router whose wireless key includes a hyphen (0x2D); removal
of the hyphen from the router's key allowed the Kindle to connect.

Is the Kindle non-compliant or is only a subset of the characters (eg
letters and digits but not punctuation) permitted according to the standard?

I have always avoided using special characters in keys and passwords.
I know it is supposed to make cracking harder, but if you are also
going across operating systems and/or countries, then you can often
get some character that is encoded differently on one or the other. We
used to have endless problems with passwords between Sun Solaris and
Win. Throw in accented characters and it is *much* worse.
--
Regards
Dave Saville