Advice on a new modem please?

Old January 7th 11, 06:24 PM
Paladin5 Paladin5 is offline
Junior Member

Default Advice on a new modem please?

I have had a Speedtouch 330 USB modem now for several years with no problems at all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Paladin5

Edit: My ISP is Pipex and usual connection speed is 3mbs.

Last edited by Paladin5 : January 7th 11 at 06:33 PM.
Old January 7th 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Paladin5" wrote in message

I have had a Speedtouch 330 now for several years with no problems at
all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and
more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is
what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if
possible.

Any advice appreciated.

How much do you want to spend and are you really sure you want a modem and
not a router?

If a modem I doubt if anybody on here would recommend one but a
router....well that's another matter. If you want a plain ordinary common
or garden router without any 'whistles and bells' then I can't see much
wrong with seeing what your local emporium is selling at bargain prices.

One thing to remember (and this is off extreme importance) is to uninstall
all the software you installed when you started using your USB modem or else
you will have problems trying to use a LAN connection (maybe now is a good
time to take a note of your login username and password as well).

Old January 7th 11, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 07/01/11 18:24, Paladin5 wrote:
I have had a Speedtouch 330 now for several years with no problems at
all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and
more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is
what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if
possible.

I recently replaced a speedtouch with another speedtouch - ST 516 v 6 -
new one seems fine. I had a similar sounding issue with the old one, and
it also stopped saving configs, so every time it rebooted I had to
reconfigure it, which was a real pain.

I suspect maybe it had a cap or two with dodgy electrolyte, but the cost
and time of replacing all the electrolytics on the motherboard made it BER.

I use a 100 Mbit 8 port switch on the lan side that the computers are
connected to, gives me space for 7 machines, and there's usually only 2
here.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old January 7th 11, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Paladin5" wrote in message

I have had a Speedtouch 330 now for several years with no problems at
all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and
more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is
what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if
possible.

I Googled Speedtouch 330 looks like they almost being given away on Ebay,
why not look on your local Freecyle or Freegle group and get one for
nothing.
Did not read the results on Google but looks like folk having Driver
problems particularly on Windows 7, suggest you look and see if yours a
common problem and if a solution.
Was if from your ISP? Will they send you a replacement?
Regards
David

Old January 7th 11, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 07/01/2011 18:24, Paladin5 wrote:
I have had a Speedtouch 330 now for several years with no problems at
all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and
more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is
what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if
possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Paladin5

What Kraftee said.
USB modems are well past their sell-by date and there are plenty of
routers out there that give very good performance.
Don't dismiss the ones with wireless capability. You don't have to use
it at the moment but who knows the future? You might need it sooner than
you think. Even so, a router will out-perform what you have now - and
give you statistics as to how well your connection is performing,
whenever you want.
And it will always be on - no having to connect to your ISP every time
you switch on.
And it will have a built-in firewall.
You'll get a good one for fifty or sixty quid, top-whack (even cheaper
on eBay).
Go for it.

George

Old January 8th 11, 01:08 PM
Paladin5 Paladin5 is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for all of the replies.

For someone who usually builds his own pc's, my knowledge in this area is seriously lacking. Can I really just replace a modem with a router without any further modifications to my desktop?

My MB is an Asus P5Q which deos have an ethernet connector on the back panel, so I'm guessing that it's a possibility.

I am also wondering how it would affect, if at all, my ISP service.

As for actual routers, could anyone recommend one or two models please? Price range up to around the 50 - 60 pounds mark.

Thanks again in advance.

Paladin5.
Old January 8th 11, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

"Paladin5" wrote in message

I have had a Speedtouch 330 now for several years with no problems at
all. Recently though it has started disconnecting on a regular basis and
more often than not, will not re-connect without a pc reboot.

After so long without any problems I can't complain. The question now is
what do I replace it with? I would prefer a non-wireless connection if
possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Paladin5

My ISP (Zen) did a recent BT exchange upgrade that gives 4MBs, my
Speedtouch 330 (ex Freeserve) is only 4MBs and 'dropped' the broadband about
every 20 mins. Zen recommended a Netgear DGN1000 router (£45ish). Got one
from Pyramid and it works fine. I've not enabled the wifi as I don't have
any need - until we get a laptop.

Old January 8th 11, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Paladin5" wrote in message

Thank you for all of the replies.

For someone who usually builds his own pc's, my knowledge in this area
is seriously lacking. Can I really just replace a modem with a router
without any further modifications to my desktop?

My MB is an Asus P5Q which deos have an ethernet connector on the back
panel, so I'm guessing that it's a possibility.

I am also wondering how it would affect, if at all, my ISP service.

As for actual routers, could anyone recommend one or two models please?
Price range up to around the 50 - 60 pounds mark.

Thanks again in advance.

Paladin5.

The only thing you will have to do, as I said before, is uninstall any
software which you installed to get your USB 'modem' working after that it
is, how they say, a piece of .......

As for models, I'm not getting into makes/'badges' but visit your local
emporium and see which boxes they're shifting at the moment.

Old January 8th 11, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 08/01/2011 19:38, kraftee wrote:

"Paladin5" wrote in message

[...]

Absolutely.
I use a D-Link 2640R and it just works. Others may have other suggestions.
See:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-link-DSL-2...4519826&sr=8-1

George
Old January 9th 11, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paladin5 wrote:
Thank you for all of the replies.

For someone who usually builds his own pc's, my knowledge in this area
is seriously lacking. Can I really just replace a modem with a router
without any further modifications to my desktop?

Slight rejigging of the network to use 'ethernet and use DHCP, thats all.

My MB is an Asus P5Q which deos have an ethernet connector on the back
panel, so I'm guessing that it's a possibility.

I am also wondering how it would affect, if at all, my ISP service.

it ill probably be slightly better. Certainly a lot ore secure.

As for actual routers, could anyone recommend one or two models please?
Price range up to around the 50 - 60 pounds mark.

Netgear is the bog standard kit.

Pretty idiot proof.

I have a yen for strange things like D-link and Billion..

Thanks again in advance.

Paladin5.