Pre wired Dual Network boxes

Old January 9th 11, 11:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Pre wired Dual Network boxes

Having Googled without any success can any tell me where to find a source
for wall mounting network boxes with two pre-wired RJ45 outlets? Of course I
could use two modular sockets but I would prefer the former. TIA

Peter Crosland

Old January 10th 11, 03:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:06:09 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Having Googled without any success can any tell me where to find a source
for wall mounting network boxes with two pre-wired RJ45 outlets? Of course I
could use two modular sockets but I would prefer the former. TIA

I've not heard the term "pre-wired RJ45 outlet" before. Could you point one
of these out?
Old January 10th 11, 08:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

wrote:

Having Googled without any success can any tell me where to find a source
for wall mounting network boxes with two pre-wired RJ45 outlets? Of
course I
could use two modular sockets but I would prefer the former. TIA

I've not heard the term "pre-wired RJ45 outlet" before. Could you point
one
of these out?

What I mean is a non modular one with two RJ45 outlets that only requires
the incoming cable to be connected to one place without the need to wire
between the sockets. There is probably a different name for it.

Peter Crosland

Old January 10th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

wrote:

Having Googled without any success can any tell me where to find a source
for wall mounting network boxes with two pre-wired RJ45 outlets? Of
course I
could use two modular sockets but I would prefer the former. TIA

I've not heard the term "pre-wired RJ45 outlet" before. Could you point
one
of these out?

What I mean is a non modular one with two RJ45 outlets that only requires
the incoming cable to be connected to one place without the need to wire
between the sockets. There is probably a different name for it.

Peter Crosland

If you are looking to use one existing Ethernet cable to support two
different computers then it is possible, provided the devices involved,
router or switch, computer Ethernet ports, are designed for 10 or 100MBs
speed. 10 to 100Mbs only utilize 4 of the 8 wires in the cat5/6 cable
per computer leaving the other 4 wires for a second computer or even
phone line(s).

The newer 1000Mbs systems use all 8 wires for just one computer and as
such can not be split without the use of a Ethernet bridge or router and
you can not mix an old style analog phone and computer on the same cable
with one of them.

There used to be all in one splitters pre-wired wall plates but I seem
to remember they cost about the same as a modern 4 port Ethernet bridge.

Here is a link to a video showing how to use the little pre-made
Ethernet splitters that plug into the wall jack and allow two computers
to run on one cable, but they have to be used in pairs, one at each end
of the cable being split.

http://cableorganizer.com/rj45-split...m=image-viewer

The above is one long URL so if it comes in two parts at your end you
have to enter all of it into the browser to use it.

You could be use the "splitters" to run one computer and up to two phone
lines on the same cable provided the already mentioned speed
restrictions are kept in mind but that would most likely require you to
make special adapter cables for more than one phone line.

You could use one of the above modular splitters at the switch/router
end and hand wire a double Ethernet jack set at the end with the two
computers if you want provided you understand which wires to route to
each wall jack.

Old January 10th 11, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Daniel James

In article , Peter
Crosland wrote:
There is probably a different name for it.

Isn't it called a 2-port hub/switch?

I don't know of anyone who makes one. I'd suggest you get a small 4-
port switch and screw that to the wall.

[Note: Beware of the Belkin plug-in 2-port adaptor, which they
misleadingly call a "passive hub" -- it's not a hub at all, it's just
two RJ-45 sockets wired to a single RJ-45 plug. It *looks* as though it
might approximate what you're after (it's not wall-mounted but you
could plug it into a single wall-mounted socket) but it won't do what
you seem to want.]

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old January 10th 11, 05:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:15:22 -0000
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

What I mean is a non modular one with two RJ45 outlets that only
requires the incoming cable to be connected to one place without the
need to wire between the sockets.

That's not a normal use of a double socket - although it can be done to
get two 10/100mbs connections onto one cable, it won't work for
gigabit. As it's a bit of a bodge I'd be surprised if anyone offers a
pre-wired solution.

Old January 10th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

What I mean is a non modular one with two RJ45 outlets that only
requires the incoming cable to be connected to one place without the
need to wire between the sockets.

That's not a normal use of a double socket - although it can be done to
get two 10/100mbs connections onto one cable, it won't work for
gigabit. As it's a bit of a bodge I'd be surprised if anyone offers a
pre-wired solution.

If Peter means to use two of the four pairs on a single cable for each of two
ethernet circuits he should try these: http://tinyurl.com/5wpzmo2

Tony
Old January 10th 11, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:47:17 -0500
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

If Peter means to use two of the four pairs on a single cable for
each of two ethernet circuits he should try these:
http://tinyurl.com/5wpzmo2

Except as he's talking about using a wall socket he'd have one of those
dangling on a short patch cable - not exactly elegant. :-)

Old January 10th 11, 10:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply and to the others for their suggestions as well. I
think the cheapest and most elegant solution for my requirements is to use
two modular outlets and wire them internally.

Peter Crosland