Getting PC to connect to right wireless accers point?

Old January 10th 11, 07:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eurofeeds

Default Getting PC to connect to right wireless accers point?

How do I ensure my computer connects to my router and not another wireless
access point? It's not as though we're in a city, there's only 30 houses in
the village, but it tries to connect to BT Openzone or another company's
service. I changed to a new router 2 days ago, and reinstalled Windows 7 (64
bit) 2 days before that (not for this reason) but it still happens everytime
I boot up. The box 'connect automatically' is checked against my own router,
and I have used inSSIDer to make sure my router is on a channel well away
from the others (I'm on 3 with bareyl any overlap).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Old January 10th 11, 07:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...
How do I ensure my computer connects to my router and not another wireless
access point? It's not as though we're in a city, there's only 30 houses
in the village, but it tries to connect to BT Openzone or another
company's service. I changed to a new router 2 days ago, and reinstalled
Windows 7 (64 bit) 2 days before that (not for this reason) but it still
happens everytime I boot up. The box 'connect automatically' is checked
against my own router, and I have used inSSIDer to make sure my router is
on a channel well away from the others (I'm on 3 with bareyl any overlap).
Any help greatly appreciated.

There should be a setting within Network connections that allows you to
specify the preferred connection or the order of preference. This is
accessed from the control panel.

Peter Crosland

Old January 10th 11, 07:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eurofeeds

All I can find is a check box - 'automatically connect when this access
point is within range' which is already checked.

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
om...

Old January 10th 11, 08:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 10/01/2011 07:49, Eurofeeds wrote:
All I can find is a check box - 'automatically connect when this access
point is within range' which is already checked.

Is there a similar box for the other WiFi Access Points which you can
uncheck ?

Old January 10th 11, 09:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

o.uk...
"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It is easier to follow if you bottom post.

If you open network connections from the control panel there should be a tab
called wireless networks. Within that you should be able to specify the
network you prefer. I don't have a machine with Windows 7 so I can't look at
it directly to direct you more closely..

Peter Crosland

Old January 11th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eurofeeds

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
o.uk...
"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...
[...]

When I did this there was my router and one called 'any' which isn't an
SSID, but I deleted that, however it still connects automatically to BT
Openzone rather than my router.

Old January 11th 11, 07:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
o.uk...
"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Open Network connections from within the Control Panel.

Move the cursor the wireless connection and rght click on it.

Left click on Properties.

On the panel that opens Left click on the Wireless Networks tab.

Within the Preferred networks move the netork you want to the top of the
list.

Left click on the OK tab.

Reboot your machine. The correct netwrk should now be connected.

Peter Crosland

Old January 11th 11, 11:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eurofeeds

I'm not sure I'm getting what you expect I'm getting:

http://www.woldsweather.co.uk/network.jpg

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
om...

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
o.uk...
om...

Old January 12th 11, 08:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...
I'm not sure I'm getting what you expect I'm getting:

http://www.woldsweather.co.uk/network.jpg

Another route to it may be from the "Change adapter settings" on the page
you show.

Peter Crosland

Old January 12th 11, 08:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...
I'm not sure I'm getting what you expect I'm getting:

http://www.woldsweather.co.uk/network.jpg

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...iguration.html

Perhaps this will help you. AFAICS you have not located the page that deals
with the detailed network settings for the wireless network card. There are
various routes to this from the control panel.

Peter Crosland