why reset router/modem allowed active ftp to work?

Old January 11th 11, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default why reset router/modem allowed active ftp to work?

Hello

I could not get ftp.exe to download/upload files until I used the
Setup Wizard to reset the Netgear DG834G v5 modem/router. Incidentally
this wizard picked up the connection info from the earlier setup.

I cannot see any change in the router/modem configuration - any ideas
what might have been changed by the wizard?

Cheers

Geoff
Old January 11th 11, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Geoff wrote:
Hello

I could not get ftp.exe to download/upload files until I used the
Setup Wizard to reset the Netgear DG834G v5 modem/router. Incidentally
this wizard picked up the connection info from the earlier setup.

I cannot see any change in the router/modem configuration - any ideas
what might have been changed by the wizard?

FTP can be a stateful protocol..and on a least one router there was a
box ..to tick somewhere. My current router has 'FTP ALG' to select
whether FTP works.

And ftp stateful sessions can of course time out.

Cheers

Geoff

Old January 11th 11, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On Jan 11, 3:48*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Geoff wrote:

I could not get ftp.exe to download/upload files until I used the

The microsoft ftp.exe client is pretty dreadful. It does not
allow passive ftp for a start. If you needed a command line ftp
there are likely others available. Maybe gnu with or without
cygwin.

For GUI I presently favour web browser (IE can do passive but
I think Firefox needs some fiddling) or Filezilla for more
flexibility or large transfers where a restart may be helpful.

Google returns-
If you want a ftp.exe command line that supports passive
mode, try :
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/...-for-win32.zip

FTP can be a stateful protocol..and on a least one router there was a
box ..to tick somewhere. My current router has 'FTP ALG' to select
whether FTP works.

Thats cool what router is it?
Old January 11th 11, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

wrote:
Geoff wrote:

I could not get ftp.exe to download/upload files until I used the

The microsoft ftp.exe client is pretty dreadful. It does not
allow passive ftp for a start. If you needed a command line ftp
there are likely others available. Maybe gnu with or without
cygwin.

For GUI I presently favour web browser (IE can do passive but
I think Firefox needs some fiddling) or Filezilla for more
flexibility or large transfers where a restart may be helpful.

Google returns-
If you want a ftp.exe command line that supports passive
mode, try :
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/...-for-win32.zip

Thanks for the info.

In fact the program I was really wanted to get to work was Warden, for
creating and uploading .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I don't think
that it has a PASV option.

Cheers

Geoff

Old January 11th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

The microsoft ftp.exe client is pretty dreadful. It does not
allow passive ftp for a start.

Yes it does. If anything it doesn't support active mode which is obsolete
now.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old January 11th 11, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Geoff" wrote in message
Hello

I could not get ftp.exe to download/upload files until I used the
Setup Wizard to reset the Netgear DG834G v5 modem/router. Incidentally
this wizard picked up the connection info from the earlier setup.

I cannot see any change in the router/modem configuration - any ideas
what might have been changed by the wizard?

This is because, to put it simply, the DG834Gv5 is utter crap.

With active ftp you need to open a port for the connection back into your PC
and when this is via a router the router has to be reconfigured using UPnP
(in the case of Windows) and the DG834Gv5's implementation of UPnP gets
itself thoroughly in a twist after quite a short time running.

I find my DG834Gv5 is a little better with the old firmware V6.00.25 but
generally I leave UPnP switched off and just set up a few permanent incoming
ports for the rare cases when I need them (I don't know any way to use
preset ports for active ftp though).

I'm very annoyed that Netgear think it's okay to just change the spec of
routers they sell as "DG834G" from the pretty good DG834Gv4 to the utter
crap DG834Gv5 without warning anyone. The DG834Gv5 connects at lower speeds,
drops connections more often, has problems with buffer overflow when
uploading and crashes more often, sometimes in ways that just partially
break some functionality. It should not be allowed to be sold as if it was
the same thing as the DG834Gv4.

See http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html for an explanation of active and
passive ftp.

Old January 12th 11, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:04:49 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have just upgraded so that I now have

Firmware version v1.6.01.34
ADSL version E.25.41.64A

any idea whether this will be better? Are there later Netgear
router/modems which are better?

Cheers

Geoff
Old January 12th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Geoff" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:04:49 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I found firmware 1.6.01.34 to be hopeless, as was the short lived 1.6.00.33
and they actually have less features than 6.00.25 as well!

I can't say for sure about other Netgear routers, this is my first Netgear,
bought because a DG834Gv3 owner recommended the DG834G.

I'm thinking that for my next router I will look for one where there is
alternative third party firmware available.

Old January 12th 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:16:09 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

I found firmware 1.6.01.34 to be hopeless, as was the short lived 1.6.00.33
and they actually have less features than 6.00.25 as well!

I can't say for sure about other Netgear routers, this is my first Netgear,
bought because a DG834Gv3 owner recommended the DG834G.

I'm thinking that for my next router I will look for one where there is
alternative third party firmware available.

OK! Not much hope with Netgear then!

Cheers

Geoff
Old January 12th 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Just buy a decent one.

I hate netgears.

Had better luck with billion and d-link.