Plusnet - price negotiation.

Old January 15th 11, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default Plusnet - price negotiation.

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

--
Michael Chare

Old January 15th 11, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Michael Chare wrote:

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

And what happened to Pipex, eh?

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

Given that Plusnet are my ISP too, I would hope they don't play that
game. If you want cheap and happen to live in a Market3 area switch to
the 6.49 value product
Old January 15th 11, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Michael Chare wrote:

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

And what happened to Pipex, eh?

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

Given that Plusnet are my ISP too, I would hope they don't play that
game. If you want cheap and happen to live in a Market3 area switch to
the 6.49 value product

But as I am connected to a Market 1 exchange, I have to pay about twice that
for the same service!

--
Michael Chare

Old January 15th 11, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 01:05:25 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

If I remember correctly, they offered me a free month as an incentive to
stay when I cancelled my account with them. But doubt you will get
anywhere trying to haggle. Their prices are pretty good anyway! One of
the best value ISP's. Most ISP's that offer the prices they do are pretty
ropey IMO, but Plus.net always gave me a solid, reliable connection.
Old January 15th 11, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

I don't know but their prices are quite competitive anyway. The mistake you,
and lots of other people for that matter, make is choosing on the basis of
price alone. It is seldom a good idea because ISP's very considerably in the
service they give.

Peter Crosland

Old January 15th 11, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

I don't know but their prices are quite competitive anyway. The mistake
you, and lots of other people for that matter, make is choosing on the
basis of price alone. It is seldom a good idea because ISP's very
considerably in the service they give.

The mistake that you make is confusing seeking low pricing with seeking
value for money.

As I have a high loss line, I am never going to get fast download speeds
whatever ISP I use. I also have no desire to pay for call centre staff
answering 'How do I configure my router or PC' questions.

You are right that Plusnet prices are already low, however many suppliers
are prepared to reduce their prices in return for agreeing to a 1 years
contract.

--
Michael Chare

Old January 15th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:19:01 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Michael Chare" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

As I have a high loss line, I am never going to get fast download speeds
whatever ISP I use. I also have no desire to pay for call centre staff
answering 'How do I configure my router or PC' questions.

It is on that basis that you should chose your ISP.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old January 15th 11, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

are plusnet in any way price competitive?
reason for asking is i used to use them a good few years back when they
offered a truly unlimited service - and then overnight introduced draconian
caps that made them seem very expensive.

-- Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....
http://dsbdsb.mybrute.com
you fight better when you have a bear!

Old January 15th 11, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 15/01/2011 16:57, The dog from that film you saw wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...

In the past, I used to be able to negotiate a better price from Pipex by
phoning their cancellations department and agreeing to a new 1 year
contract.

Has anyone achieved the same with Plusnet?

are plusnet in any way price competitive?
reason for asking is i used to use them a good few years back when they
offered a truly unlimited service - and then overnight introduced
draconian caps that made them seem very expensive.

They are price-competitive if you don't mind having your connection
"traffic-shaped".
OK, they are up-front about it and you know before you sign up what
you're likely to get.
If you want line-speed at all times without traffic-shaping, you'll need
to opt for their Pro tariff at 20 plus per month.

If you can handle that, they're generally OK.

George
Old January 16th 11, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote in message ...

are plusnet in any way price competitive?
reason for asking is i used to use them a good few years back when they
offered a truly unlimited service - and then overnight introduced
draconian caps that made them seem very expensive.

They are price-competitive if you don't mind having your connection
"traffic-shaped".
OK, they are up-front about it and you know before you sign up what
you're likely to get.
If you want line-speed at all times without traffic-shaping, you'll need
to opt for their Pro tariff at 20 plus per month.

If you can handle that, they're generally OK.

George

looking on their site that seems to be 16.49 at the moment - but has a 20gb
usage allowance per month.
if you are a pikey type that's less than a single bluray.